Site Outage

Spoke with Don Trump this morning, and he denies the Stomp's outage was caused by a Russian hack, and they are not after our Perch? But CNN's un-named sources say different, they're after the Burwell Sub for night trawling?
hahaha

OOOOOO I would HATE to be on the recieving end of that phone call. I hope you gave'em heck @stomp

Was the email information of the members hacked? I got two Suspicious Emails just after which I deleted before opening.

A hack is possible. My web hosting company suggested that the site could have been hacked and is being used to send spam e-mail, but this was only given as an example of a cause for the use of excessive CPU. I'll have a closer look tonight.

I got one message about an undelivered parcel and another from , can't remember exactly, Hammond? and a UK address

I've just renewed my subscription to the forum software and applied all the latest patches to the site software. I don't see any evidence of a hack, but I'm not sure I would know it if I saw it. Hopefully the site outages are over for the time being.

(and I passed along your suggestion to Mrs. Stomp @lifesabeech... and with the time spent on the keyboard today working on computer woes and time/money at the tackle store yesterday, she might entertain the idea of a stomping of stomp)

I had a horrible dream that 6-8 was down again. Almost as bad as the go to school in your underwear dream, or even worse...... actually working at work :eek:

Well, it was more than a dream @Extra Virgin. This site runs on a shared server and is using so many resources that it is negatively affecting all the other sites sharing the machine. The hosting company is shutting this site down when resource consumption is spiking. I had not knowingly changed a thing when these problems first cropped up and we were in the dead of winter with little site activity. I'm really at a loss to explain it. The hosting company is "encouraging" me to fork over more bucks for a dedicated server so Channel 6-8 doesn't take down other sites.

Well, I missed my shot at fishing the "D" today. So, I thought I would spend some time on another favourite hobby; tuning Channel 6-8.

My current hosting company is saying that little ole Channel 6-8 is using 20x the bandwith of the next busiest site on the server!! Long story short, I've been tuning the site and have just have implemented use of the Cloudflare CDN (Content Delivery Network). This might address the server load issue, speed up the site and offer some protection from attacks/hacks. It may also screw things up and still not prevent further shutdowns. So, stay tuned and if things go south again, you'll know why. I may have to pony up more cash to host the site on a virtual private server or find another hosting company that is able to host 6-8 on a shared server.

Last edited:
Update: The change to incorporate a Content Delivery Network (CDN) seems to be working; the site looks to be chewing up a lot less bandwidth and CPU on the hosting server. Most importantly, the hosting company hasn't shut the site down this week and demanded more cash! The Google maps, including the Navionics app, are a current casualty. Because the site's IP address and domain name are masked by the CDN, these 3rd party providers won't serve up their map data. Based on the weather forecast, I may have a chance to try to fix it this weekend. Please let me know if you notice anything that is failing or unusual, as the plumbing underneath the Channel 6-8 has been significantly rerouted.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks