Off Topic Silverado to Colorado

HTHM

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I am considering changing from my current truck, 2017 Silverado with 5.3l to a current model year Colorado Trail boss or Z71.

Reason being, I do a lot of urban driving and would like to have something more maneuverable in heavy traffic.

The challenge is, I use my Silverado for towing a boat on a tandem axel surge brake equipped trailer that comes in at total of 4500 pounds.

The tow rating on 2024 Colorado is 7700 pounds according to the manufacturer.

Anyone have any real life experience with this setup?

should be no problem. I used to tow a 5.000 lb boat with my Ford Ranger. If it has brakes you will be fine.

Truck or SUV might pull it but your ownership compared to factory specs might say something very different .
Found out this year hunting. F 150 with a 18’ aluminum trailer with bikes. $375 from OPP over weight .
Depends on load and your GWVR on ownership

HTHM- You'll be fine! Just be dilligent in changing your Tranny Fluid. Once every 60,000 kms. Just to be safe.

Gas mileage between mid size and full size isn’t a whole lot of difference
Those 4 bangers with the turbos like gas to make power especially towing

What does that do to your fuel consumption? How much higher is it? How about braking and the load pushing you around?
Are the mirrors too small?
Almost the same, but mine’s diesel, so that won’t apply to you since they don’t offer diesel anymore.

Braking I can answer. My trailer has surge brakes, so stopping isn’t really much different than not towing* when the surge brakes work. Last year my trailer decided to dump its brake fluid out for some reason. I never did find the leak or where it went, but I noticed at the beginning of the season I practically had to stand on the brakes to get it to stop, but it did stop. I checked the master cylinder in the frailer and it was dry, topped it up with dot3 and it was fine for the rest of the season.

Aside from that, handling wise it handles really nicely. It’s slow to accelerate though especially when trying to merge on to a 400 series highway. You can certainly feel it back there. Flat 80km country highways it’s fine though.

I'd play it a different way... You'll miss that truck forsure... Buy a cheap small car for your "urban" adventures...

I have a 2019 Silverado Trail Boss for towing and hauling... I have a 2017 Chevy Sonic RS LT Turbo for my "urban" adventures and work commute... The gas savings alone almost cover the extra cost... Its surprising how much room there is in that hatchback with the seats down...

Jammer do they give you some kind of discounted insurance for an occasional vehicle on the truck?

I'd play it a different way... You'll miss that truck forsure... Buy a cheap small car for your "urban" adventures...

I have a 2019 Silverado Trail Boss for towing and hauling... I have a 2017 Chevy Sonic RS LT Turbo for my "urban" adventures and work commute... The gas savings alone almost cover the extra cost... Its surprising how much room there is in that hatchback with the seats down...

It depends on your "family" situation... If it's a 3rd vehicle of a family with 2 drivers...

Jammer do they give you some kind of discounted insurance for an occasional vehicle on the truck?

I did that once and considering what insurance and upkeep for second vehicle didn’t make any dollar sense

I had a canyon which is dam near the same thing. I traded it on a dodge ram shortly after I started towing anything

I have to stay with a domestic brand. I have a buddy who is sales manager with a large Toyota dealer who could get me a "deal"
It looks like I'll be looking at a diesel Silverado in the fall.

I have to stay with a domestic brand. I have a buddy who is sales manager with a large Toyota dealer who could get me a "deal"
It looks like I'll be looking at a diesel Silverado in the fall.
Strangely enough, the Tundra has more North American content that the Silverado, F-150, or Ram.....made in Texas.

Too bad it's so ugly though. o_O

Pretty low cargo capacity compared to the F150 or Chev

Strangely enough, the Tundra has more North American content that the Silverado, F-150, or Ram.....made in Texas

Strangely enough, the Tundra has more North American content that the Silverado, F-150, or Ram.....made in Texas.
What about the Silverado's made in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Oshawa?? 👀

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks