Off Topic Short Leadcore Rods

BozoBrody

Just curious if anyone on here runs short (7’6 and under) rods on big boards for eyes. Fished on a boat a couple times this year running 7 foot rods and they were a lot easier for putting clips on and running in general when fishing lots of lead off each side. Currently running 8’6 okuma copper/leadcore rods. If anyone’s made the switch or have always ran short rods just wondering what the pros and cons of them would be. If anyone could recommend any good brands that make rods shorter then 7’6 that would be great too

All my leadcores are 7'6, makes a big difference. Look at it as a lever, it makes complete sense.

Here is what I dont get. I see how with a shorter rod it is easier to handle lead in the shoot and with the inlines especially taking off / putting on the boards. When I run inline boards I point the rod up to the sky so there is a little contact of the line running to the board with water. Will shorter rod make it more contact and more sluggish run of the board?

Here is what I dont get. I see how with a shorter rod it is easier to handle lead in the shoot and with the inlines especially taking off / putting on the boards. When I run inline boards I point the rod up to the sky so there is a little contact of the line running to the board with water. Will shorter rod make it more contact and more sluggish run of the board?
I dont have trouble and sometimes run boards 200', I do know I can reel lead easy with short rods.

I’ve tried the shorter okuma classics (7’). I found they didn’t have enough backbone to run longer cores (7-10 color). They were ok for 3’s or 5’s. I understand where you are coming from wanting a shorter rod though. The 8’6” rods I am running now are a bit of a pain. They occasionally get caught under the main line etc. If you find a 7’ pole just make sure it will handle the weight of a 10 color. (Or a 3 color with a 10lb farm animal)

I find the shorter rod does not have the leverage of a bigger rod for ten colour.works great for 5 colour.somtimes can't move big eye with the short rod and need to slow boat

7.6 okuma trolling rod has plenty of backbone for supporting whatever number of colours I spool it with, has leverage to drag in any walleye regardless of weight, not a problem. Longer the rod, heavier the load, more work to retrieve it. Use whatever you prefer, personally I can reel in lead core all day no problem and 10,s are my favorite.

Depends on how many lines you are running. If you're running 6 lines then yeah keep them 9 or 10 ft to get it out with planers, if not, no reason you can't run 7 ft rods.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks