September heat wave adding to Lake Erie algae bloom's rapid spread

Paddle Maker, aprox. 80+ acre's of wheat stubble here has have been coated in the last 5 day's steady, by a local hog factory spraying their grey slop. Honey wagon's running so regular road is a washboard mess now? With this weeks weather we've had two big down pour's, and this AM better than a inch, guess those lakes of liquid shit just disappeared by the manure lepricons, and didn't drain threw the tiles into the flooded drainage ditch, too everybody's water.
If the roads a mess & they are not tilling it into the ground, get a hold of the ministry of the environment.

Paddle maker has the typical farmers attitude, "quit blaming the farmer" "we feed you", "you'll starve"....
Anything but acknowledge and fix the problem. when farmers farmed for subsistence, no problem, and they took more care because they consumed what they grew. They started feeding the people around them, they started to make money. Now, that's all it s about, raising thousands of pigs, or chickens or turkeys... the problems that arise from that are spread among everyone near these operations. Including the lakes and waterways.
Your sick of people picking on farmers Paddlemaker? The answer isn't, "this algae is great because the bluegill in our farm pond love it", Something needs to change. If they could somehow measure the runoff effluence, and measure it, and charge farmers accordingly, so it somehow cost them money to pollute our water, to make their profit, I bet things would change, Ya, there would be a shitload of whining and crying, and there might be a load of tractors on the 401 protesting, but I bet things would change.

I'm not a farmer. I do eat food and know where it's comes from. To be honest my father's farm, and my uncles farm are certified organic. My other uncle grows grass fed beef. I have a half acre of organic vegetables for my immediate family. I understand and practice responsible farming. But I also know basic math. Organic farming can't feed 7 billion people. So stop craping in your plate. Thank a farmer.

This crap floating in my back yard on Tuesday,WTF

Attachments

• 20150908_181806[1].jpg
    20150908_181806[1].jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 65
So this is what this "Fishing Forum " has come to.......... PIG SHIT? Really? Move on people , unless you are a farmer or working for the Ministry of the environment Move On!

This is nothing new in lake Erie it happens all the time ! What its cause from I don't know and neither do any of you Move On .....PS plse don't start rippin on me that's only my 2 cents worth my opinion not interested in a big argument

So this is what this "Fishing Forum " has come to.......... PIG SHIT? Really? Move on people , unless you are a farmer or working for the Ministry of the environment Move On!

This is nothing new in lake Erie it happens all the time ! What its cause from I don't know and neither do any of you Move On .....PS plse don't start rippin on me that's only my 2 cents worth my opinion not interested in a big argument

Well @floatin rig you can't just drop a live grenade into the fish tank and not expect some blow back. :rolleyes:

You can bury your head in the sand if you want but if no one does nothing Erie will fast become what it was in the 1960s, a DEAD lake. Those of us who appreciate this great resource aren't about to "just move on" allowing that to happen again. We certainly do know what is causing the problem and it's well documented. There is a solution but it's going to take everyone including government, industry and farming along with us sportsmen working together to make it happen. You can either be part of the solution or part of the problem, totally up to you. If Erie does one day become a cesspool of green slime filled with nothing but Asian carp because too many simply chose to "just move on" ignoring the problem then remember this, I told you so. ;)

Or you could just ignore the threads you choose not to read and allow other members to discuss topics that are important to them....just an option.

Last edited:
What its cause from I don't know and neither do any of you Move On ..... that's only my 2 cents worth my opinion not interested in a big argument
Apparently not interested in educating yourself either. Biologists and many fisherman who have taken the time to actually research do know what algae blooms are caused by, and what factors contribute to ideal conditions. Taking the "I don't know, I choose not to know and I don't want to hear what anyone else has to say" route is not going to make it better or save our lake. I bet you're the type who ignores your check engine light, your mechanic and then when your block seizes you scream "NOBODY TOLD ME I HAD TO CHANGE THE OIL!?!?!?!"

I'm not a farmer. I do eat food and know where it's comes from. To be honest my father's farm, and my uncles farm are certified organic. My other uncle grows grass fed beef. I have a half acre of organic vegetables for my immediate family. I understand and practice responsible farming. But I also know basic math. Organic farming can't feed 7 billion people. So stop craping in your plate. Thank a farmer.
PM, have to ask, who are the 7 B we are feeding threw our factory farming here in southern Ont? You should check out were our export's go? It goes to the countries that can afford it? It's easy to research, we raise it, their willing to pay, and we get the manure in our water.
It ain't our Grandparent's farm anymore Dorthy, the farm's that are doing the damage belong to the share holder's.

Recently a factory pig farm had their application for the proposed Pig Factory denied locally in Haldimand County. Thanks to the public that fought it. Your opinion matters but we can make a difference collectivly. You have chosen to bury your head in the sand @floatin rig . How's the air down there? Typical Canuck from the years gone by. Not my problem, someone else will fix it. Join the 21st Century man.

yah it is elgie,just not green yet!!,that is a log on the right .

Thanks for clarifying that for me Horty. I thought when you said "crap" you meant literally. I was beginning to wonder if it might be a 100 lb. brown log floating on top of a big wad of used toilet paper! :ROFLMAO::D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks