Sep 20 Last Minute Dash - Burwell

anonymoose

Decided to make a late run for Burwell after work. Launched just after 5:30 and ran to 58FOW.

Got 3 lines wet before they found each other :banghead: and lost the first fish in the process. Reeling in a triple dipsey tangle with a walleye attached is the kind of fun only team @anonymoose can drum up! Got all the gear aboard (less the fish, of course) and started hacking. A few minutes later we were moving again, having only lost a few feet of braid. Saved the leaders, even though they looked like slinkys at this point and put them back down. It turns out that migrating dipsey weight combined with our patented zigzag trolling technique were likely the culprit.

Getting close to sundown we decided to pull the plug. "Phew" I thought, thinking that I'd finally made it out without having to chase down (or be chased down by) a missing planer board. No sooner had the thought crossed my mind when SNAP went one of the lines. Must have caught on one of the dipsey rods during a particularly tight zigzag maneuver. Scooped it up and wrapped the line around a bucket to be retied for the 20th time.

Before someone asks, the patented zigzag trolling technique is not intentional. I need to get a brick to tie to the steering wheel as it would do a better job than me at keeping the boat moving in somewhat of a straight line.

Threw back a few smalls and lost more than we boated, including a hard hitting rainbow (or similar fish that does the characteristic YANK YANK YANK YANK GONE technique that I'm so familiar with). Wound up bringing home 6 nice sized fish, which was as many as I cared to clean on a weeknight with an early duck scouting mission planned.

Didn't get out much this year. That might be the last hurrah for us this year as my attention turns to the sky and woods to fill the freezer!

-moose

Do dipseys often mess up? On the weekend I put it out on number 3 and reeled it back in one number 1.

Do dipseys often mess up? On the weekend I put it out on number 3 and reeled it back in one number 1.

No, dipsys do not mess up, they are inanimate objects. 😔

Set it, crank the bottom screw tight and make sure you set the rest for some separation under water.

If you're going to zig-zag you need to maintain a speed that keeps a pull on all lines or they'll fall back into the centre behind the boat.

I've run 6 many times with very rare tangles, but I have run 5 and a DR and had the DR tangle with a dipsy on the opposite side of the boat. 😳🤔

Trial and error. 🌻

If you want some real fun, run a 10 colour lead down the chute and do them dipsey-doodle S-turn maneuvers

I’ll have to look for that screw
Right in the centre of the dipsy on bottom
I’ve had it come loose and just spin in circles while trolling makes the rod dance
Had no clue what was going on first time it happened
Kept grabbing the rod thinking a fish was on hahaha

Unless I lose hardware in season, I check All the eyelets with cotton swabs at the end of the season to look for that exact condition.

The cotton grabs anything that is imperfect and gives you the heads-up for repairs.

I too have learned the hard way in the past. 🌻
how do you go about repairing it?

Love the auto pilot bungee and the brick technique. Laugh my a$$ off ! Having new people fishing on a boat can be bad as well. I find they want to get the dipsey out and down lickety split. Letting dipsies out slowly is the only way.

Love the auto pilot bungee and the brick technique. Laugh my a$$ off ! Having new people fishing on a boat can be bad as well. I find they want to get the dipsey out and down lickety split. Letting dipsies out slowly is the only way.
I'm the "don't laugh, it's paid for" type. Or rather, laugh all you want, it's still paid for and won't bother me any :p

Us guys with young kids for fishing buddies need something to hold the wheel. But soon enough the young fellas will know how to do everything on the boat and it'll be like going out on a charter! They'll just need me for gas money and to drive to the ramp!

Yeah @Octavius Brine , the kids are a great excuse for some of the tomfoolery. Ancient and second-hand equipment is another excuse. However, seeing as I've lost a planer board 3 times now I can take all the blame for not paying attention to my rod tip. I'm sure there's a dozen other things that are my fault too :LOL:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks