seeking salmon

Low water does not stop salmon from going up the rivers. Not that I fish for salmon in the river and haven’t for over 20 years but the cooler temps and rain will start to bring in the odd trout.

it can rain all it wants,the fact is the numbers returning to rivers on huron are way down and have been for a few years. the hatchery guys are not sure why as they have been stocking the same numbers with fewer fish returning. there seems to be a belief among some members the lower returning numbers have coincided with walleye numbers increasing off huron tribs. the belief is that walleye are feeding on fingerlings released by the stocking program,no actual proof but does make sense.

Tried Port Dalhousie again Sunday. Fished spawn sacs and spoons. Nothing for me or others around me. Talked to local fisherman and the question is " where are the fish?" Saw a few jumping salmon and one brown trout. The lock doesn't seem to be working fully. Fast current on the north side, little on the south side where it seems to swirl around upsream away from the lake. Drifting spawn sacs is more like plunking, even with light weights. I'm guessing salmon are just about done now. Trout fishing may be better soon.

Is there many boats fishing the drift or are you night fishing? Also are people fishing the forefalls area? Usually some semblance of a drift there if dams are off

Only one boat fishing. He was using his electric trolling motor to move around. He was casting lures. Didn't see him catch anything. A few fishing in forefalls area, no fish. One said he caught only one earlier. I was there during the day. It rained at dark and overnight. It was slow last year also, which seems to be a trend.

I'll try Port Dalhousie this weekend, hoping for a late running salmon or early trout. I am guessing Lake Huron salmon have been unable to run up the low rivers and have died in the lake. Maybe cool weather and rain will call in the trout later. Has anyone ever had any luck with salmon or trout by the Bluewater bridge? It's closer than St. Catherines.
When I fish sarnia I like fishing near and around the grain elevators. It's like the same as goderich harbour

Tried Port Dalhousie again Sunday. Fished spawn sacs and spoons. Nothing for me or others around me. Talked to local fisherman and the question is " where are the fish?" Saw a few jumping salmon and one brown trout. The lock doesn't seem to be working fully. Fast current on the north side, little on the south side where it seems to swirl around upsream away from the lake. Drifting spawn sacs is more like plunking, even with light weights. I'm guessing salmon are just about done now. Trout fishing may be better soon.
Trout should be coming in soon bayfield and goderich I'd start anytime now as of october23 and on..

Back