Off Topic Season ending bad luck?

Teddy69

On the way out yesterday at burwell get to 54 FOW and engine revs kinda like when the prop spins on hub but I knew right away it just seemed a bit different shut it down and fished and came back in with my kicker get home take out bottom plug on outdrive gear oil looked ok I removed the the top plug (oil level) and instantly notice huh the little 3 inch long stick is gone??? fudge sakes lol it just fell off and went inside I put 3/16 magnet down hole shavings and chunks galore this will be expensive and the soonest service date is Aug. 21 :( Hopefully I can get out again anyone else ever hear of this happening?? I meticulously maintain all my stuff I change my gear oil and engine oil twice a year synthetic oils , sea foam premium fuel the boat is absolutely mint condition and this complete bad luck B.S happen so frustrating

Sorry to hear that. Not sure what outdrive you have but give Luken Marina a call at Lighthouse Cove. They may have a rebuilt one sitting on a skid ready to exchange. 519-682-2868

Luken marine switched out the motor on my
Older StarCraft last spring but it took some time

On the way out yesterday at burwell get to 54 FOW and engine revs kinda like when the prop spins on hub but I knew right away it just seemed a bit different shut it down and fished and came back in with my kicker get home take out bottom plug on outdrive gear oil looked ok I removed the the top plug (oil level) and instantly notice huh the little 3 inch long stick is gone??? fudge sakes lol it just fell off and went inside I put 3/16 magnet down hole shavings and chunks galore this will be expensive and the soonest service date is Aug. 21 :( Hopefully I can get out again anyone else ever hear of this happening?? I meticulously maintain all my stuff I change my gear oil and engine oil twice a year synthetic oils , sea foam premium fuel the boat is absolutely mint condition and this complete bad luck B.S happen so frustrating
My brother is a marine mechanic just from your description says likely blew your gear case. Says somehow water got in

Wow that's tough luck @Teddy69 for sure. Hopefully they can get you up and running before the season is over.

My previous boat had an identical failure, heading out one day in July it just suddenly went into neutral about a mile from the pier. Upper gear case blew up and was full of shrapnel upon inspection. Being a very common Alpha One I found a guy in Norfolk area selling one already pressure tested with the correct gear ratio for $500. Swapped it out myself and was back on the water next day. Alpha drives are easy to swap in your driveway in only a couple of hours tops if you can find a good replacement unit. Just 6 main nuts, a shift linkage and 1 nut to remove the trim ram pivot shaft are all that's holding it in. So all is not lost if you can find a replacement drive locally, have box of sockets from Canadian Tire and a couple hours to spare. Many videos showing step by step how to do this swap as well on YouTube.

The only caveat to this is to ensure you get a replacement of the same gear ratio.
This will be dependent on your engine size.
3.0L ~130hp - 1.94 ratio
4.3L ~175hp - 1.81 ratio
5.0L ~230hp - 1.61 ratio
5.7L ~260hp - 1.47 ratio

My previous boat had an identical failure, heading out one day in July it just suddenly went into neutral about a mile from the pier. Upper gear case blew up and was full of shrapnel upon inspection. Being a very common Alpha One I found a guy in Norfolk area selling one already pressure tested with the correct gear ratio for $500. Swapped it out myself and was back on the water next day. Alpha drives are easy to swap in your driveway in only a couple of hours tops if you can find a good replacement unit. Just 6 main nuts, a shift linkage and 1 nut to remove the trim ram pivot shaft are all that's holding it in. So all is not lost if you can find a replacement drive locally, have box of sockets from Canadian Tire and a couple hours to spare. Many videos showing step by step how to do this swap as well on YouTube.

The only caveat to this is to ensure you get a replacement of the same gear ratio.
This will be dependent on your engine size.
3.0L ~130hp - 1.94 ratio
4.3L ~175hp - 1.81 ratio
5.0L ~230hp - 1.61 ratio
5.7L ~260hp - 1.47 ratio
Ya mine is the 3.0L I’m looking for a complete unit replacement seems the easiest and fastest option

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks