Sea Ducks at Long Point

Lpgar

Bit of a Crazy weekend for seeing different Duck Species at the Point. Sea Ducks a plenty. We saw Black Scoter....White Wing Scoter....even a Surf Scoter along with many Long Tailed Ducks and even a flight of 8 Brant. Litterly thousands of Ruddies here as well. Not sure I have ever seen so many birds here at once. Clouds over the red X that no one can hunt. Makes the blood warm with excitement if We ever get a blow.

Funny you mention this I was just talking with a friend today who was up fishing on Lake Simcoe over the weekend. He goes there a lot but said he never saw anything like last weekend for odd ducks... a ton of Old Squaws and Scoters there as well. Must be strange things going on in the sea duck world?

Lake Ontario definately gets more Sea Ducks...Particularly Long Tailed Ducks. Yup...legal 6 a day except for protected Harliquins (and yes I have seen them at Long Point). Not sure why you would want many in your limit when Reds and Cans are more than possible and definately more tasty this time of year.

I would bet that that snowstorm that came up the East coast of the US pushed these birds to the west to avoid the storm .I have killed scoters before at the Point but it was years ago and one of my brothers shot a Brant as well years ago there.Those sea ducks are NOT the best tasting bird out there .I guess if you had your choice between a Merganser and a Scoter and a board --take the board .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks