Sat Oct 26/13

ship wrecked

Well the weather man was right with the big wind had a hell of a time anchoring got to buy me a sand anchor.We took the wrong boat couldn't go to the spot we wanted to the waves were 2ft. in about 3 ft of water.Ended up with 4 birds. Seen lots of darts out on the lake.Should have took Gord Ives up on his offer oh well next time.So how was your hunt sat.?

crazy a$$ winds yesterday
decided the night before to try out my new kicks high flyer full choke, worked like a charm
we both were shooting winchester 3 1/2" BB 1550 FPS
I was knockin' ducks down 60+ yards out (wind was going in our favour though)
both my brother and I were limited out by 11:30
ended up with 1 black, 1 ring neck, 3 mallards, 3 wigeon, 1 bufflehead, and 3 GW teal
winds like that really gives you the chance to make some awesome shots!

Hard time keeping the boat in place was the only problem for us. 2 guys- 4 mallard 2 black 4 gadwall 2 ring neck. All the birds decoyed nicely

decided the night before to try out my new kicks high flyer full choke, worked like a charm
we both were shooting winchester 3 1/2" BB 1550 FPS
I was knockin' ducks down 60+ yards out (wind was going in our favour though)

That's the choke I use, but with Kents. 3" #2 and 3.5" #1. Also shoot a Briley IM choke for pass shooting with #BB, but boy, you don't want to shoot anything inside of 25yds with that combo....

We hunted the unit
I shot the ring neck at about 20 yards, sure didn't have to worry 'bout chasing him down
Usually I use a PURE GOLD Imp mod,
(& my own reloads of 1/2 hevi shot- 1/2 steel), but knew most ducks on Saturday wouldn't be able to work the wind inside the marsh
Did Fred end up issuing any permits at the unit for the outside blinds on Saturday?

A friend and i hunted one of the ponds in the interior of the Unit. We had 8 birds before 10am but took until 2:30 to get the last 4. Not sure i have ever fired so many shells in one day. For us it was a cross wind and if you did not connect on your first shot #2 and #3 were pretty much wasted. Lots of gadwalls in the middle of the marsh.

Saturday also hunt the interior of the unit 9 mallards and 3 gadwall by 10:30, Was taking turns with my dad shooting one bird out of the flocks. Same as above make your first one count or the dog had some serious work to do
Also shot the unit friday night had 12 in a hour waited on some honkers ended up with 4 of them, Great weekend ready to do it all over this coming one.

We too were out in the unit on Saturday in one of the muddy stake blinds. We had to drag our boat in, luckily the water rose a bit for the trek out. We finished with 12 - mallards, gadwalls, pintails and wigeon. Lots of missing but still lots of fun.

We hunted Friday too with the same results and the same mixed bag. Friday was a little easier on the body than Saturday (which I've been paying for ever since ).

Taz

Got 6 Friday and 6 today (I hunt solo). Had to work Saturday/Sunday, but would have been in a field on Sat for sure.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks