Fishing Report SALTWATER SALMON FISHING IN NANAIMO BC

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I was visiting my brother in Nanaimo this past week so decided to do a 5 hour saltwater salmon fishing charter. We left the dock at 7:30 and were limited out by 9 am even after the 1/2 hour ride out, I knew I should of booked less time. :rolleyes:

The charter was a great setup with a $140,000 custom 22 ft. aluminum boat built to handle some pretty rough ocean water that's for sure. Wow, I think this aluminum boat would run over a 22 ft. Lund like it was a pop can and wouldn't even leave a dent it was so heavy duty. He towed it to the ramp with a Chevy 3500HD with a Duramax diesel! It had a door to the stern extension on the back which made it easy to get in and out at the dock because the sides are so deep you would almost need a small ladder to get out. He also had all the best equipment, high speed riggers and electronics to go with it.

I must say this was a very different experience compared to downrigging King salmon on the Great Lakes as we were fishing in 850-947 fow with the riggers down 235 ft.! Even though we limited out quickly and released many others overall I was a little disappointed with the whole experience. I was expecting the saltwater version to be much more aggressive fighters than their Lake Ontario freshwater counterpart and in that sense they were a big letdown. Maybe it had something to do with the water being 38 degrees and being so deep I don't know. They also were using a flasher the size of a surf board which certainly didn't help getting them in. No screaming reels either like our kings give us. Basically they were like bringing in a 15 lb. walleye with it's mouth fully open if you know what I mean. Anyhow the scenery was a spectacular backdrop and the boat gave a surprisingly smooth ride in the chop. Out of about 100 boats launched I was surprised to see that about 98% use Yamaha outboards, not sure why. Seen only a few E-Tech and Suzuki but not one single Honda or Evinrude and only one lone Mercury. We caught no fish over 12 lbs. as the big Kings up to 60 lbs. don't arrive until late May. Hope you enjoy the photos. :)

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG
IMG_1232.JPG

I find with most charters, they put you onto the hot spots with non stop action. The problem with that is its usually full of small fish.

I fished out of Ucluelet in July last year. We ended up with three fish for two of us before a storm chased us in. Biggest was 24 pounds, other two were 18 pounds. Good thing about the west coast is there are more runs from different rivers swimming by so there are fish there almost all summer.

whats does a 5 hour charter run you there?

We used Invicta Charters out of Nanaimo who charges $100 per hour no matter what you fish for. So $500 including tax for 5 hours which isn't too bad.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks