Salmon

HTHM

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
What is the reason that people launch at stupid o'clock in the morning to fish for salmon? Is there an actual science behind this?

Salmon are aggressive feeders at t dusk and dawn. You can get more action in the 30 minutes before and after sunrise than between 7 and noon. The magic hour of dawn and / or dusk when the skitters come out is when many species of fish check in at the buffet. Salmon are very light sensitive. Once the sun is up they get cautious and go deep to digest the morning meal. As with everything, there are exceptions - days where the lake is on fire, or in the case of a morning after a full moon in a cloudless sky, days where the bite doesn't turn on till later in the day. Once you've had a sunrise screamer on two or more rods at the same time, the addiction is set.

Salmon are aggressive feeders at t dusk and dawn. You can get more action in the 30 minutes before and after sunrise than between 7 and noon. The magic hour of dawn and / or dusk when the skitters come out is when many species of fish check in at the buffet. Salmon are very light sensitive. Once the sun is up they get cautious and go deep to digest the morning meal. As with everything, there are exceptions - days where the lake is on fire, or in the case of a morning after a full moon in a cloudless sky, days where the bite doesn't turn on till later in the day. Once you've had a sunrise screamer on two or more rods at the same time, the addiction is set.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Back before zebra mussels really took hold it wasn’t as much a factor. But I agree, the majority of it has to do with light penetration. However, you can do ok later in the morning if your able to fish deep and by that I mean down 120 to start. And depending on time of year of course often your stagers will be caught in less than 60 feet and it can be lightning fishing all morning if you hit the right conditions and the right concentration of fish.

@HTHM salmons are mostly biting early morning and later evening. Rainbows are more flexible. I usually catch 80% of my fish is before 9am depending on the day... And after 6-7 PM... I mean on an average day...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks