Salmon - Lake Ontario - Sunday, June 9th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I joined Emil (Ice fisherman) for a morning of salmon fishing out of Oakville Harbour. The weather was fabulous and the fishing was fair to good. We landed 7 salmon including 1 Atlantic, 4 Coho and two small Chinook and long released 5. That matched Emil's score yesterday out of Port Credit Harbour.

Emil knows his stuff and is always a pleasure to fish with. Good report, too bad the fish weren't more cooperative:)

BD

I've read very few reports and most of them with people struggling to get salmon. Maybe Arnie is right and we've got spoiled last season with some really hot Lake O. fishing with outstanding numbers. Not in the thousands as Big Dave but easily in the 300-400 salmon caught. People expect things to improve in the coming months but I am a bit more pessimistic. Don't think it'll be as good as last year. Last two days even charters were struggling with just a few fish caught...and few fish is like getting skunked on a charter with 5-6 people on it.
Friends of mine with two other boats were also fishing not far from me today and both got just one fish each. And they did work very hard in finding them.
Temps have been all over....water is all messed up....it'll take weeks of stable weather to settle things....but stable is the last thing one can say about this years weather....
So time will show but I'll be very surprised if it gets as good as it was last year.

Hope the same doesn't apply to Lake Erie.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Thanks for the reports....hoping to get out to the O soon.....long drive for me to get skunked but gotta try!!! Emil , are those rainbow or cohos you are holding.....caught one today on St.Clair River dragging a worm harness....had same markings and spotted tail, long and slender with very faint pink lateral line...same eyes and small teeth as your pic..thanks in advance Emil!!!

still slow......maybe not for Emil though...weird spring for sure.... i would think soon they should be gettin hungry though!

Silverbullet,
All Cohos today with Arnie getting an Atlantic. First one ever caught on my boat.

Lovetrout,

exactly the conversation we were having with Arnie today...they must eat at some point....problem is we were not marking many bait balls either....and without bait balls they maybe eating something somewhere else not at the North Shore....it sure is interesting how long will this go and to what extend....No problem getting some in my last 3 trips but hope I get some of those 30-35 fish days I had last year.;)
I know Big Dave is waiting for them ha ha ha

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Blue zone alewife??? I saw one bait pod...in 130fow....85-130 big school....but deep...I just read a paper that there are concerns about the predation of the alewife and the state of the fishery...too many preds not enough...alewife...hop this isn't the start as Ihave not encountered a spring like this....hopefully not!

Thanks Emil...well I guess that was my first coho....never thought I would get one on a worm harness trolling for eyes.. lol what identifies an Atlantic Salmon? Now I know what a coho looks like ...thanks Emil

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks