Salmon/Bows - Lake Ontario - Friday, August 2nd

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Awesome morning with Emil (Icefisherman) and Paul (plaw64) fishing Lake Ontario between Bronte and Port Credit. I really don't remember how many fish we had on or landed but we certainly caught our limit. I'd like to thank Paul for spending a lot of time live releasing a 25 pound Chinook that I landed on my light Lake Erie rigger stick loaded with 12 pound test mono. It took a long time to land and just as long to revive. Personally, I also landed and released an 18 pounder. All three of us kept some smaller fish for the smoker. We caught Chinook, Coho and Rainbow. I posted the only decent photo I have and hope Paul or Emil can add some later. Again, thanks Emil, it was a day to remember and the weather couldn't have been better.

Last edited:
Arnie,

you were again the good old Pro I know for years...not everyone can land a 25 lbs king on a soft rod with 12 lbs test mono line...not to mention the 18 lb'er too....and bunch smaller ones...I did rough calculation when I got home...and I think we were close to 19/29 today....with several big size fish in the mix....bows....cohos...kings....a bit of everything....very good day despite the weatherman wrong (again) forecast....
Paul has some videos and I can post one picture of Arnie tired after landing his big fish of the day....flies did most of the damage...spoons got the big one and few others....40-60 feet down.

20130802_095448_zps08484dc1.jpg

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Awesome Ducksoup. Went out thursday night from Grimsby. beautiful night on water. We went 2 for 10. losing a king and put 2 8# bows in box. I haven't done allot of Salmon fishing so I could use a couple of tips on releasing some of the big salmon. I tried to release the 1 bow but it seemed real slow to revive.This seems like a foolish question after going 2 for 10 , ( I'm sure we'll get better) but any help very much appreciated.
Btw anyone catch a king with a Tiger pearch dipsey, keep dipsy and let me know how big that freight train was.
My first time fishin them in 15-20 yrs. forgot how hard they hit. Might be gettin hooked myself.Lol

Awesome Ducksoup. Went out thursday night from Grimsby. beautiful night on water. We went 2 for 10. losing a king and put 2 8# bows in box. I haven't done allot of Salmon fishing so I could use a couple of tips on releasing some of the big salmon. I tried to release the 1 bow but it seemed real slow to revive.This seems like a foolish question after going 2 for 10 , ( I'm sure we'll get better) but any help very much appreciated.
Btw anyone catch a king with a Tiger pearch dipsey, keep dipsy and let me know how big that freight train was.
My first time fishin them in 15-20 yrs. forgot how hard they hit. Might be gettin hooked myself.Lol
Swingman, I had luck today with a silver/blue/white NK28 about 45 feet down. That being said most of the action was using dipsey's baited with spinners and tinsel flies. Emil had four of them out at various depths. We fished two downriggers and four dipsey divers. It's pretty hard to do as well as Emil does on that piece of Lake Ontario because that has been his passion for many years but the fishing there is definitely good and anyone making an effort with decent equipment and basic know how should do real well.

Thanks 4 info Ducksoup. Ya dipsys were busyiest 4 us 2. we went out in the eve . Black was the active color.Majority were spoons.The loran and us got real busy at 8;30.

What I was wondering was , what is your method for releasing the king or bows for that matter.

Thanks 4 info Ducksoup. Ya dipsys were busyiest 4 us 2. we went out in the eve . Black was the active color.Majority were spoons.The loran and us got real busy at 8;30.

What I was wondering was , what is your method for releasing the king or bows for that matter.
It wasn't too hard because the surface water temp was cool (67F) and we were catching them less than 60 feet down. Just holding them in the water by the "handle" just above the tail for a few seconds worked. The 25 pound King took a lot longer because I fought him with 12 pound test line and we also weighed him. It took Paul a good 10 minutes to revive that fish but once revived it broke free and took off. Personally, I though it was done and wondered what to do with all that salmon.

Hey guys, nice catch...rookie here... have an opportunity to take my daughter out this thursday for some fishing, have never been on L/O and it looks like a lot of fun, can you help with a port and how far out to go? Any help would be great...
thanks J

Hey guys, nice catch...rookie here... have an opportunity to take my daughter out this thursday for some fishing, have never been on L/O and it looks like a lot of fun, can you help with a port and how far out to go? Any help would be great...
thanks J
j-man, most of the fish were caught just west of Port Credit in about 200 fow. Lake Ontario gets deep quickly and 200 feet is not very far from shore, maybe a couple of miles. Launching your boat is free there.

Arnie,

it is free to launch at PC all year with one exception...when the salmon derby is on, PC charges (I think $10 or $12) for people without derby ticket...the ones with derby ticket still launch for free (if you don't count the cost of the derby ticket of course).

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

hey guys great report.I was wondering if you could give some advice i plan to fish lake O next weekend for the first time im set up for fishing erie with riggers, dipsies and lead core. what should i do differently when on lake O? also what do you guys use for spoons? any help would be great.

Thanks

Chromesmen,

Not that different from Erie...the one thing different is Lake O. has much stronger currents...often times speed difference between ball and surface speed is ap to a mile per hr. So having depth probe (speed and temp at the ball is crucial)....fish moves as water temps change rapidly this season....I'd advice you to start 80-90 fow or so and troll out but keep your eyes on the surface and down temps as well as water surface....if you see sharp temp change on the surface often time you'll also see mud/debris line...perfect zone to stay in...also before even you start trolling drop your temp probe down and check temp every 5'....pay attention for sharp changes....when you find one keep your presentation just above and just bellow that water...
Dark/cloudy day - darker spoons
Bright/sunny day - bright spoons

Leave your Erie copper back spoons at home...only bring the silver backs for lake O.
Silver/white/blue is a good one
also....monkey puke....black/purple....black/green.....pink panties....
Make sure you have flasher/fly combos....preferably on the dipsy lines...spread them.....I do 4 dipsy lines and cover from 40-65 feet down with them using different settings....braid and wire....don't go streight...zig-zag all the time...
as you start getting hits pay attention are they on the outside (faster) or inside(slower) lines...and adjust speed accordingly....as a start do 2.2 -2.3 mph down speed then adjust.

Later in the day move deeper....don't be afraid to go into 300 fow if you have to...but you may also need to come back into the 100-s....
Check your braid lines frequently as flees are bad right now....
what else....ask if you have questions but this should give you good start and chance of hitting the big one....when you do take your time....those fish are not lake Erie eyes ;-) they pull and fight hard....very hard...often destroy your equipment along the way, so take your time...keep your drag loose....and do what Arnie did when he fought that 25 lb-er on 12 Lbs line......go SLOW ;-)

Good luck,

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

ice fisherman thank you for the awesome detailed reply. unfortunitly i do not have a speed probe just a fish hawk TD. is color critical with the flashers and flys and what range of speed should i run on my gps? thanks in advance!

ice fisherman thank you for the awesome detailed reply. unfortunitly i do not have a speed probe just a fish hawk TD. is color critical with the flashers and flys and what range of speed should i run on my gps? thanks in advance!

Best working flies/flashers combos are green and blue.
If you don't have down temp try 2.8-3.1 mph GPS speed but again depending on direction and location who knows what real speed your lures will have.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

one last question, what winds should i watch out for? i assume strong south winds. this saturdays calling for 20k nw, would this be a rough day to go out to 300'?

It depends where you are launching from/fishing....if from the North shore you are better off with North winds or variations of....and oposite if launching from the south....you want South wind....
in both cases East wind is not good for you as you'll likely see the big rollers coming all the way from St. Lawrence.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks