sale of minnows

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushcreek

Sorry to say,i will no longer be selling minnows again as of today,i recieved a letter in mail today that i have to appear in court in aug 18 or be arrested by m.n.r it says nothing about what charger is or what for,all bait shops in port bruce were raided may28 ,i didn t have any minnows at time ,but they sezeid them from the two others shops here, so here we go again, more laywers dozen appeance to be remanded over and over again, and then withdraw 5 minutes before trail again,they really trying to run us into the ground and force us out bis....the worst way possible

Sorry to say,i will no longer be selling minnows again as of today,i recieved a letter in mail today that i have to appear in court in aug 18 or be arrested by m.n.r it says nothing about what charger is or what for,all bait shops in port bruce were raided may28 ,i didn t have any minnows at time ,but they sezeid them from the two others shops here, so here we go again, more laywers dozen appeance to be remanded over and over again, and then withdraw 5 minutes before trail again,they really trying to run us into the ground and force us out bis....the worst way possible
Sounds like huge govt b.s. like when they came to pt stanley during covid and fined some of the business s for not having signage in correct spot. What a pile of 💩

I had heard a rumor that the ministry had forced Betty's and others in Pt Bruce to drain their tanks a while back, something about the new bait management zones. What we on the pier couldn't understand is, based on what we read about it, IF the bait came from for example zone 19, which includes the Upper Niagara River, Lake Erie, the Detroit River, Lake St. Claire and the St. Claire River, using them in that same zone was allowed.

But apparently, as someone else understood it, if you had to drive them over a substantial distance, ie from the Upper Niagara to say Pt Bruce through zone 16, then it wasn't allowed, but from Burwell to Bruce was ok.

So the ministry needs to be MUCH more clear on wtf their new regs mean before they start enforcing through fines because as I understood it, the former owner of NEM had/has several bait catching licenses, one of which was for the Upper Niagara area and he was still (supposedly) supplying the local bait shops in Pt Bruce and Pt Burwell. If that's so, why haven't the marina's he supposedly supplies in Burwell been forced to shut down bait shop operations as well????

That's why I've been catching my own off the pier this year. One, it's cheaper and two I don't have to worry about whether or not I can legally use them because I KNOW I can.

I had heard a rumor that the ministry had forced Betty's and others in Pt Bruce to drain their tanks a while back, something about the new bait management zones. What we on the pier couldn't understand is, based on what we read about it, IF the bait came from for example zone 19, which includes the Upper Niagara River, Lake Erie, the Detroit River, Lake St. Claire and the St. Claire River, using them in that same zone was allowed.

But apparently, as someone else understood it, if you had to drive them over a substantial distance, ie from the Upper Niagara to say Pt Bruce through zone 16, then it wasn't allowed, but from Burwell to Bruce was ok.

So the ministry needs to be MUCH more clear on wtf their new regs mean before they start enforcing through fines because as I understood it, the former owner of NEM had/has several bait catching licenses, one of which was for the Upper Niagara area and he was still (supposedly) supplying the local bait shops in Pt Bruce and Pt Burwell. If that's so, why haven't the marina's he supposedly supplies in Burwell been forced to shut down bait shop operations as well????

That's why I've been catching my own off the pier this year. One, it's cheaper and two I don't have to worry about whether or not I can legally use them because I KNOW I can.
i do my own thing all my minnows come from here ,or beach port stanely berwell,what gets me didn t have any ,and no one came back to charge me ,read me rights,just demand i appear

hope someone else chimes in on this and dont want to start a pissing contest but-------arent you SUPPOSED to be advised what charges are being laid against you?????? just asking so dont climb all over my a---

hope someone else chimes in on this and dont want to start a pissing contest but-------arent you SUPPOSED to be advised what charges are being laid against you?????? just asking so dont climb all over my a---

Yes, you are.

Don’t talk to the MNRF about the lack of charges at this point in time and when you get to court and ask the judge why you haven’t been notified of the actual charges, the judge will side with you against the MNRF and dismiss any charges due to their negligence, and hopefully not just those against you but in all the charges to all the plaintiffs in this harassment

They are abusing the law by enforcing it in a way that it wasn’t meant to be enforced.
Disgusting.. the conservation officers involved should feel ashamed of this gross abuse of power.
The law wasn’t made to shut down bait shops that get their supply in a legal way.
It’s to stop Douglas or Karen from catching minnows off the Port Bruce pier and taking them up north to fish with on lake Nipissing for example. :mad:

I help catch minnows at Old Cut Boat Livery. We had an unexpected inspection a few weeks ago and we passed on the tanks of minnows. There was only one issue and it was the log book for which it was with me while I was out catching minnows. They did return a few days later to see if the log book was up to date. They did comment on the sale of minnows that the receipt shows the bait licence for which they like to see.
They will try to find issues whether it’s the staple of minnows or catching them.
When we pull the 100’ net and it’s full of minnows we try our hardest to make sure there is NO invasive species or game fish in it and that’s not an easy task. When we off load them back at the marina we will check every scoop before it’s dumped into the tanks.
Wish you all the best and good luck @rushcreek

@Three Bouys : I would think the checking would be a VERY difficult job, maybe these people should try it. Easy to sit in chair and get it done… KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK…

Threads like this always make me scratch my head. One day the CO’s are praised for doing their job busting poachers and those who break the rules. The next day they’re hated on for doing their job they’re told to do by their superiors?

I highly doubt we’re getting the whole story and I very highly doubt the CO’s who stopped at rushcreek are power tripping and/or making up their own rules as they go.

Do you see Erie bait, Old Cut or any other bait dealers in the area getting summoned to court for no apparent reason? Just sayin…

Threads like this always make me scratch my head. One day the CO’s are praised for doing their job busting poachers and those who break the rules. The next day they’re hated on for doing their job they’re told to do by their superiors?

I highly doubt we’re getting the whole story and I very highly doubt the CO’s who stopped at rushcreek are power tripping and/or making up their own rules as they go.

Do you see Erie bait, Old Cut or any other bait dealers in the area getting summoned to court for no apparent reason? Just sayin…
I total agree with you @ch312 that they are doing their job as to what they should do whether there’s any legal or illegal infractions committed. They could of probably enforce summons for not having the log book readily available, it’s not something illegally done our part.

@Red Fisher thanks. It does get mesmerizing looking in the net and all you see is hundreds of minnows.

@rushcreek : I’d be looking into this ALOT CLOSER BEFORE GOING TO COURT…

It does seem very odd as I have never heard of anyone being summoned to court without a reason/charge/fine whatever. Everyone always knows why they are going?

Maybe rushcreek can post a picture, with personal info blocked of course, of this summons letter? It would be interesting to see….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks