Running Four Dipsies

Beagles

Hi guys and girls. I want to pick the brains of those who run four dipsies or more. When trolling Erie, I always run two dipsy's, and two leadcore, with inline planers. It works great, but I would like to try using 4 dipsies only, when the dipsie bite is good. I am going to be running the extra dipsies on my mono rods. I am not going out and buying two more rod and reel combos spooled up with braid! My thought was to run my two current Dipsy rods, that are spoiled with 30 lb braid, down on 1 or 2, and run my other rods on a 3 with a smaller size of Dipsy to get me away and back from the boat a little bit, still leaving the back of the boat clear for Landing fish. Thoughts?

Works fine I do it all the time
Outside on three setting inside on 0.5 or 1

But I still always pull my outside dipsy to the side of the boat rather then crossing and bring in at the back

I allow the outside planers to cross and bring straight up the back tho.

I usually run the smaller dipseys on the inside because they don't drag out as far. Run the big ones on a 3 setting and the smaller ones on 1.

I will run up to 8 dipsys at a time 4 on each side. Biggest suggestions I can make is to definitely have have your reels calibrated, let yours rods out super slow, have your 3 setting positioned in a rod holder towards the front of your boat more then the smaller setting which will be more near the back of the boat. If only running 2 a side id go a 1 and a 3 on each. But you can easily run a 3 and a 2 without tangles. Also, when letting your outside ones out to go over top of your inside, let them out from the opposite corner. For example all my port side dispys I start letting out from the starboard side back corner. This allows them to get out far enough then cross above the other rods already in the water. Then once let out out it in its proper holder. I personally hate dispys on mono but it is doable. I would just add 100 yards of braid ontop of the mono already on your reels

I will run up to 8 dipsys at a time 4 on each side. Biggest suggestions I can make is to definitely have have your reels calibrated, let yours rods out super slow, have your 3 setting positioned in a rod holder towards the front of your boat more then the smaller setting which will be more near the back of the boat. If only running 2 a side id go a 1 and a 3 on each. But you can easily run a 3 and a 2 without tangles. Also, when letting your outside ones out to go over top of your inside, let them out from the opposite corner. For example all my port side dispys I start letting out from the starboard side back corner. This allows them to get out far enough then cross above the other rods already in the water. Then once let out out it in its proper holder. I personally hate dispys on mono but it is doable. I would just add 100 yards of braid ontop of the mono already on your reels
Thanks lazywave! Good point, on the adding of the braid to the mono. I will just take it off, for the few times I will fish Lake Ontario this year. I have the two ledcore, with in lines, plus two dipsy's, down to a science, but I want to try the 4 Dipsy spread as well. Especially when the boat traffic gets excessive.

Works fine I do it all the time
Outside on three setting inside on 0.5 or 1

But I still always pull my outside dipsy to the side of the boat rather then crossing and bring in at the back

I allow the outside planers to cross and bring straight up the back tho.
Thanks, Derkd9! I won't be running my leadcore and inlines in conjuction with my proposed 4 dipsy spread, however. Just the 4 dips. Unless I find another fishin' bud!

I usually run the smaller dipseys on the inside because they don't drag out as far. Run the big ones on a 3 setting and the smaller ones on 1.
Thanks Dunnster! I had the exact opposite Theory, where I think I may like the smaller dipsy to run back and out a little farther, for those boat – spooked fish. Running Rippling red fins under the boat, for the aggressive fish and some favourite spoons out wider for the shy fish. Only one way to find out!

Run four dipsys all the time, but on braid, run 6 some days bodies permitting.

My neighbour threw a dipsy on a mono rod to prove the nightmare of a dipsy that cannot be tripped.

It was a very good lesson.

Last edited:
Run four dipsys all the time, but on braid, run 6 some days bodies permitting.

My neighbour threw a dipsy on a mono rod to prove the nightmare of a dipsy that cannot be tripped.

It was a very good lesson.
Thanks hvyhaul! Yes I'm going to add braid to my mono lines as lazy wave recommended. Makes total sense.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks