Rudder for bow mount trolling motor.

one.last.cast

I just installed this rudder from Reelcrazyfabrication.com. To my minnkota power drive ipilot to help steer in windy conditions. Feedback from others who have it is that it really helps keep the boat straight and helps turn the boat with less thrust which saves battery. Currently I have a 27 grade battery and it’s drain by the end of the day. Also I need to steer with the main in windy conditions to help out the electric which defeats the ipilot option. Can’t wait to try it out soon.

Attachments

• D54F5FED-E871-42FD-9EF2-E83E88B44C1C.jpeg
    D54F5FED-E871-42FD-9EF2-E83E88B44C1C.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
That makes a lot of sense to me. Will be thinking about a quick on/off attachment. I could see it being great for smallies and walleye but would want it off to stalk the shallows for LM 🤔

Easy to take off. It’s held in by 2 hose clamps. Besides. You can lower the collar on the shaft for shallow waters.

I actually just ordered one from him the other day for my 24V Terrova, I’ve heard lots of good things but also heard some bad things. They say it’s really hard on the steering box of the motor and could prematurely burn the steer motor out

I did a lot of reading from other sites and Facebook. Some said that it could but have not read any who said the motor burnt out from the rudder. Let’s hope for the best.

I dont know how that helps with maneuvering, I think all that comes from the motor / prop thrust and the direction you aiming at , what you call rudder is on boats with a straight shaft driven by inboard motor where you only get thrust forward or reverse , electric trolling motor and outboard have a skeg and I believe its serves the purpose of water flow dynamics around the prop and may help to save your prop if you hit bottom
Not trying to be negative about it, but just can't see how it helps with steering, as you mentioned @one.last.cast it's supposed to aid when windy but your motor will turn into to the wind to compensate manually or using auto feature to stay on heading , the attached extra rudder will slow the nose of the boat from getting blown off heading with the extra surface its provides but in my opinion it won't be much
Let us know once you had it in use what's the results are

I think the extra surface area will help turn in the direction faster. In windy days I have to turn the main motor to help the electric motor turn. Those who use it say they now set the power on 3 instead of 5. I’ll let you guys know if it’s an improvement or not.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks