Routes to bluff bar?

Jello

I'm looking to explore out by bluff bar when we get one of those rare flat days.
With a 16' (85" beam) Lund, would it be better to launch near Old Cut and cut through the channel on the south end of pottahawk? It's similar in distance to Turkey Point when I mapped it out. Logic tells me a S or SW wind will proved safe passage that way if it blows up.

Just head straight to Pottahawk from the Old Cut. I cut the bar with my Wellcraft 230 Fisherman Center console with a 250 Etech. Approx 200 yds from the tip and you will have lots of water. I might be a little farther out but I see 3.6’of water.
I help Ray at Old Cut Livery catch minnows and we cross right at the Tip on plane with the minnow boat with 115 hp Merc
35F0D214-1DCE-4AFC-8620-E9A7736D1815.jpeg

Ok, I gotta see this spot- any chance of getting a satellite pic of the spot ? I raced across the bar years ago in a little ski boat before I was aware of how shallow it was😅

I'm looking to explore out by bluff bar when we get one of those rare flat days.
With a 16' (85" beam) Lund, would it be better to launch near Old Cut and cut through the channel on the south end of pottahawk? It's similar in distance to Turkey Point when I mapped it out. Logic tells me a S or SW wind will proved safe passage that way if it blows up.
I’d perfer to go out of turkey point

I always cross at the red circle. Think it’s 8’ at the shallowest. Rather be safe than sorry! But is a little quicker than the channel. I’ve only been there twice though.

Attachments

• DB72D2CB-25E1-4AC8-9218-4BE5A1096FBA.jpeg
    DB72D2CB-25E1-4AC8-9218-4BE5A1096FBA.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 83
Old cut or the Prov Park was my route when running the 15 ft tiller. Keep it cooking and you will have no issues skimming over the bar as others have mentioned. Running out of Turkey is a crap shot and can go south on you if the wind swings and builds. Best be keeping your panties pulled up tight if you decide to run out of Turkey.

Turkey Point or Old Cut not much difference in distance. However on a predominant SW wind running along the point side and not having to come across the bay is nice especially late season.

My daughter takes her 16.5 foot smoker craft out there all the time. (weather permitting) She usually launches from Port Rowan, only because we live in Rowan and I can drop her off and be back at the house within 5 minutes. She'll go on days when there's a light west wind as she can hug the shoreline out. Takes her about 50 minutes to get there. She goes through the little gap at Pottawhawk.... but it's super shallow this year so she uses her electric motor to get through the gap.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks