Rondeau

TMAN

Quick question, I’m camping with my boys at rondeau this weekend. We will be fishing the bay and hopefully the lake as well. Anyone know if I can cross out of the bay into the lake with a 19’ legend? Or do I need to use the erieau launch? Any pointers on the bay are appreciated as well as it will be our first time in the bay

There are a few ramps in Rondeau Bay, there's Shrewsbury public ramp but there's usually nowhere to park and I'd avoid a "summer place" like the plague, you have to steam through a whack of weeds to get out of that dump plus the guy's an idiot! I usually launch at Erieau Marina marina [$20] which will put you at the channel to either Rondeau bay or Lake Erie, great ramp/great store/parking but I'd expect it'll be busy if the weather is good this weekend and if so just be patient and wait in line. The fishing in Rondeau is great for bass and such, fish along the weed lines, good fun for the lil' kids but be on your guard there are some whoppers out there! I'd be very careful out on old lady Erie, she can get a bit nautical when she wants to and sticking to the bay can give you shelter in case it gets goofy. Have a fun safe time!!!!

Red Green: And now the Man's prayer, I'm a man,
but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

If you're camping at the provincial park you can launch from there for free, and cruise out to the lake from there. You'll go right past Erieau.

Might be a good idea to talk to the folks at Erieau marina in any case for the latest fishing report. I'm sure there are boats catching walleye by now and there can always be rainbows around. Walleye fishing normally starts west of Erieau where the water warms a little faster. Stay out of the triangle area marked by big bouys, it's a stand-off zone for a rifle range on shore.

Inside the bay I've only ever fished for largies, and you'll be one week early for that (season opens on the 26th). We've had quite a few incidental catches of pike while bass fishing with spinnerbaits and swimbaits. I'd look for deep weeds and you will find there's no shortage of those in the bay lol :D I recall seeing people anchored and fishing presumably for perch just inside the mouth of the bay around this time of year last year.

Good luck out there and please post a report, I'll be there the following weekend!

Last edited:
We've launched out of Summer Place the last 3 times out at $13 to launch I think (I buy a season pass yearly as it'smost convenientfor me being close). Weeds are still down in the bay so it's smooth sailing all the way across. Summer place is my launch of choice through the summer as it's closest to my house but once weed growth is to the surface it's a good idea to keep an eye on your water stream as the weeds do get thick in spots. There is a launch in the park but not sure how it is right now or if they have a dock in. It's a short ride to the channel from either lauch depending on the wind and there's quite a few walleye being caught as well as some bows off erieau right now.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks