ROD SET UP HELP FOR NEWBIE

jeffro9

hey guys new to trolling lake Erie. mainly troll with riggers for salmon and bows on lake Ontario and Huron,
headed to Erieau at the end of July for a few days and looking to try my luck with some eyes and bows down there. 17 ft boat with two riggers on the back corners. looking to set up two other rods. I am not sure which route to go, dipsey divers??? Planer boards with lead? or snap on weights?
just looking for some advise on how to set up these 2 rods for some success. and what all I need for tackle / line set up to do so. any advise would be appreciated. both rods are around 7' 6 med action down rigger rods
one reel is a diawa 47lc and the other is okuma magda pro ma 20dx.

@jeffro9, I have only been into this Walleye and Bow hunting for 3 or 4 years. In that time what I have learned up to now is that there is no go to formula that works everyday and no 1 technique that is sure fire. In fact what works in the morning may not work after lunch. We just throw what has worked last and then go down the list of our game plan. One day it's only Fire Tiger harnesses at 1.9MPH, then it bodybaits in chrome and blue on Dipsy's the next day at 3MPH. You have longlining experience, make a pre fish game plan and stick to it. I have taken with a grain of salt the radio chatter on 6-8 as to what's working that day. Believe it or not I have heard of some guys to lie out there, imagine!

To be specific Ripplin Redfins worked for us last year. Reef Runners in dark purple and brown. Firetiger anything some days. We caught more fish on leadcore and Dipsy's than riggers, sometimes. Sorry I can't be more specific for the reasons I spoke of above.

Go slay em'

Johnny D

what would be a good set up for lead? how many colours and how do you work it off the boards?
would seting up with lead and buying some boards be a better choice then dipseys??

what would be a good set up for lead? how many colours and how do you work it off the boards?
would seting up with lead and buying some boards be a better choice then dipseys??

Get two 10 color cores but get them segmented with sections of braid between the segments. I run a 7+3 color and a 5+5 color core in the summer, that way I can cover the full water column by letting out a certain number of colors. With the 7 colors out the lead will be approximately 35 ft down and 5 colors would be 25ft down. I also just rigged up to other rods with a 5+3 and a 4+4 combos just so I can target fish up high in the beginning of the season. Another plus too segmenting the setups is the length of braid between each section allows you to clip on a planer board and not damage the lead core. Hope this helps

Its all personal preference.......but I would run one dipsy and one leadcore and buy one planner board.......we catch lots of fish on leadcore without planner board ...just straight out the back.....400-500' of line so shouldnt get tangled with rigger line....you can always put dipsy on your other rods or clip weights and use them on planner if you decide riggers arent producing much.....
In july i would suggest 8 -10 colour lead...put all the line in the water...plus 25-100' of line then attach your inline board and let it away from the boat.....each colour of lead should sink 5'...plus what ever speed and lure plays into it

SO I would recommend starting like this and see what works;(its what how i started when i switched from huron too erie)
One rod..off side .large dipsy (purple or black) # 3 setting 150' back........one rod 8 - 10 colour lead off back corner (maybe in rigger rod holder)......One rod try downrigger 50-80' lead and fish it 5-10' off bottom.... then run last rod use inline planer board (off opposite side of dipsy)...with either clip weights or leadcore.......then you will see what works best for you. and what fish want that day and change up if not catching fish

Hope this helps

I personally don't set up the leadcore on planner boards. It is highly recommended to segment or separate so to speak the leadcore because clipping directly to leadcore may break the inner metal core and render the line weak. Maybe I should but am just starting this year to put out boards on my boat. I run the leadcore straight down the middle at 2 different depths. Remembering the 5 feet per colour I will set the leadcore one or approx. half colour above the marked fish or bate ball. From my diving days fish will come up to take a bait and seldom dive down for a meal.

I like to keep things simple, I can be confused easily (don't even think about it @HORTY and @stomp). With all the combinations and options it drives me bonkers. Riggers, stacking, leadcore, leadcore segmented on boards, Dipsy's, jet divers, snap weights, temp probes, current at the lure, thermoclines, and, and, and. Sometimes I miss the days of putting out a Erie Dearie with worm on it.

It's a organic component of the male reproductive system my friend Bill has. What's wrong you never took grade 7 health? And you just couldn't help finding it, you really are Editor in Chief and regardless what some say are very good at it.

awesome advice thanks guys.
how long of segments do most use inbetween sections of lead? and do you segment with braid or mono?

can anyone recommend a board? off shore? church?? or OPI tackle?

what's your most productive core rod?

im thinking of spooling with 5 colours on each and then just using snap weights if need to go deeper... any thoughts

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks