Off Topic Road Salt and Lake Erie

It’s quite sad that so much salt has to be thrown down simply because municipalities, school boards, businesses, and homeowners are afraid of getting sued. Even if you salt properly and miss a little patch, some turd out there is just looking for such an excuse to fall and sue.

Cities typically settle outside court if they’re suing for less than $5k as it’s cheaper than going to court. Businesses do the same whenever possible.

I’ve done snow removal for both private and municipal contracts and there is zero care given about the environment. None at all. If you suggest laying less salt, even if it’s more than required, you’re still ordered to put more down.

Then there’s the senseless waste that occurs every mild winter that involves over salting just to use up the salt to ensure they get enough money in the budget for the next year. Yes, salt trucks are ordered to waste salt just to use it up. Sad.

Then there’s the senseless waste that occurs every mild winter that involves over salting just to use up the salt to ensure they get enough money in the budget for the next year. Yes, salt trucks are ordered to waste salt just to use it up. Sad.

Simple math and political mindset.

You didn't use what you asked for from last year so you don't need that big a budget for the coming year.

No reward for making cost saving decisions at year end.

It’s quite sad that so much salt has to be thrown down simply because municipalities, school boards, businesses, and homeowners are afraid of getting sued. Even if you salt properly and miss a little patch, some turd out there is just looking for such an excuse to fall and sue.

Cities typically settle outside court if they’re suing for less than $5k as it’s cheaper than going to court. Businesses do the same whenever possible.

I’ve done snow removal for both private and municipal contracts and there is zero care given about the environment. None at all. If you suggest laying less salt, even if it’s more than required, you’re still ordered to put more down.

Wow,312, i have worked going into my 29th year with 2 different municipalities,city and county,and have never been told to waste or use up salt to up the budget:rolleyes:

The article doesn t say how much saltier the lake has become in 80 years of road salting, if any. I would brlieve it screws up soil near the roads but affecting such a huge body if water, who knows. All the other effects mentioned could be because of other crap in the water. I have an aquarium and I am adding a tablespoon of sea salt every 2 weeks as recommended. Thats why I have my doubts;)

Wow,312, i have worked going into my 29th year with 2 different municipalities,city and county,and have never been told to waste or use up salt to up the budget:rolleyes:

I guess it depends on the city or school boards? I've seen plenty of it in Brantford and Cambridge. I've witnessed arguments between employees and supervisors because the exhausted drivers know they don't need to salt, but they're still told to go out again.

Quite a few times I have been sent to lay salt so thick it's almost a tripping hazard until it melts. I've also been the driver and witnessed many others being told to salt on dry days as "preventative measures" with no precipitation forecast for days. Which is pointless as salt gets laid after every single snowfall so this preventative stuff is nonsense.

Gotta prevent those lawsuits and keep a healthy budget for next year....

I guess it depends on the city or school boards? I've seen plenty of it in Brantford and Cambridge. I've witnessed arguments between employees and supervisors because the exhausted drivers know they don't need to salt, but they're still told to go out again.

Quite a few times I have been sent to lay salt so thick it's almost a tripping hazard until it melts. I've also been the driver and witnessed many others being told to salt on dry days as "preventative measures" with no precipitation forecast for days. Which is pointless as salt gets laid after every single snowfall so this preventative stuff is nonsense.

Gotta prevent those lawsuits and keep a healthy budget for next year....
Can’t get a budget increase without going over your alotted budget from last year. All government works this way. Either beat them or join them.

Taxpayers subsidize public sector government unionized workers at a rate about 30% higher than the private sector. Everyone will find out that it’s not sustainable soon, look at inflation.

@stomp... Hey Bob I just realized that must be the reason I don't need as much salt on my cooked walleye as I used to. 😁

Austin Powers Movie GIF

After taxes, bout 52k/yr 🤷‍♂️

Okee Dokee ... now that we've strayed from the original post and want to pick on the civic worker I must take umbrage with you on that matter.
They are not "subsidized" but paid a fair wage that was bargained for and usually what is the "norm" of that particular job. I know of many "contract jobs" that will pay huge amounts of money for the same type of work but of course you may have to go work in some Hell hole for 6 months at a time or if lucky just a wasteland with the ever present fear of either being shot or eaten by the local inhabitants. Don't pick on the little guy ! Go to the top and complain ! Call your councillor or mayor ?

Yes ! It's true I've seen it happen not only in the public sector but in the private sector as well ... if you don't spend over your budget how can you ask for more ? Duh ! Really... ? How do you explain all that fishing gear to your budget chief ? Aha ! Yaaaa , right ?

Now ; back to the OP ? I have no doubt that we are adding salt to our fresh waters. As to how much and it's overall effect I leave to the scientists to figure out. It's a no brainer that the less we put in the better things will be for the receiving waters and all that depend on it but then that is true for all the waste that we allow into our ecosystem.

So maybe the next time you are out in your boat doing whatever?... and feel the call of Mother Nature you can always pee into a jug and dispose of it later instead of in someone's drinking water ?

While I work a different job, I’ve worked for 2 municipalities as well, on a 24 hour rotating schedule. I’ve never seen a salt truck out just for the hell of it. They are either expecting a dump of snow, or they are neck deep in it!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks