Rivet popped

ferg

I went to the boathouse yesterday during a break in the rain to find my boat full of water. With some help I managed to get it out of the water. After putting some water in the boat (on the trailer) I found a rivet had popped on the bottom of the hull. Any suggestions on how to repair the rivet? Does the carpeted floor need to be removed to access both sides of the hole?

I went to the boathouse yesterday during a break in the rain to find my boat full of water. With some help I managed to get it out of the water. After putting some water in the boat (on the trailer) I found a rivet had popped on the bottom of the hull. Any suggestions on how to repair the rivet? Does the carpeted floor need to be removed to access both sides of the hole?

You can use a blind rivet if you can`t (Buck it) or get at it easily.

I don't think you want a 500 pak of closed end rivets but you can get what you want at Facca Fasteners. There are 2 locations in London and one in St. Thomas, see www.faccafasteners.com. Some hardware stores may also carry them as well. It sure beats tearing up the floor!

I don't think you want a 500 pak of closed end rivets but you can get what you want at Facca Fasteners. There are 2 locations in London and one in St. Thomas, see www.faccafasteners.com. Some hardware stores may also carry them as well. It sure beats tearing up the floor!

They sell them by the piece at Fastenal too...just posted the wrong link, sorry.

Thanks for the advice. It took all day but I decided to remove the floor and repair it properly with a solid oversized aluminum rivet. I am grateful to Jim Biddle at Biddle's Marine for supplying the rivet and giving the proper installation instruction. I will let the adhesive cure for 48 hrs. before giving it a water test. FYI G.Mech....I am repairing a Princecraft boat so keep an eye on your rivets.
Thanks again.

ferg. Good on you. The Pop rivet would have worked but the job has now been done right.

Cheers, Clark

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks