Reverse Sear Friday

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
@Mrs. Stomp picked up these T-bone steaks 🥩 on sale at Metro a few weeks back (may have been an @rmsteve tip). We couldn’t get them cooked then, so they’ve been in the freezer since. Yesterday, I cleaned all the 🌈fish scale, stank, etc., off the Traeger, so the grill is ready to go. It’s Friday night now and the steaks are thawed, rubbed, and ready for a reverse sear!
4F8C203B-22A7-44A2-9F53-7A9E0E26E40D.jpeg

Gameplan:
  1. Smoke at 225 degrees for 30-35 minutes with Super Smoke enabled (Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets)
  2. let rest for 5 minutes
  3. Finish with a sear on the Weber gas grill cranked to the highest setting (around 700 degrees if you can believe the external Weber thermometer)
Goals:
  • steaks cooked between rare and medium-rare with a different, smokey, and, hopefully, pleasant taste.
  • Accompany steak with some homemade pretzels 🥨, steamed broccoli🥦, and an ice cold beer 🍺

Steaks are a smokin’, pretzels are risen, had their hot baking soda bath, and are ready for the oven.
7450B063-E6C0-42B2-809E-C822CE06F875.jpeg

image.jpg

Verdict :
  • Steak -tougher than 🐳 cock boiled in buttermilk (will be the last reverse sear for a while at Stompsoft HQ)
  • Pretzels- excellent
  • Veggies - perfect
  • Beer - excellent
  • Homemade chocolate pudding - awesome

There seems to be a million trendy new ways to cook a steak these days but imho nothing is better then the old high temp sear on the grill.

Verdict :
  • Steak -tougher than 🐳 cock boiled in buttermilk (will be the last reverse sear for a while at Stompsoft HQ)
  • Pretzels- excellent
  • Veggies - perfect
  • Beer - excellent
  • Homemade chocolate pudding - awesome

Wow, that's too bad with the steaks, I did a reverse sear prime rib steak last night. (I cut a roast down)

It was very tender, both of us commented on the tenderness
🌻

Your T-Bone looks much better @Fishboss . A post-mortem was conducted on my reverse sear this morning. The conclusion was that the sear, 3 minutes a side at 600 degrees, was too long. I will try it again sometime, but with only 1 steak.

Yeah @stomp the sear part is only for texture and marking of the exterior.

I kept an eye on the internal temp with my inst-read pen. Think I stopped the cook at 115* and then when I seared the steak it was just long enough to get the typical steak house cross hatch markings. 🌻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks