Off Topic Requesting feedback on fishing ex Port Burwell

Skunked2Often

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hello, I'm new to the board and fishing Port Burwell. I have a 15' Legend and am wondering if it's possible to fish ( I'm solo ) and still manage boat speed/direction safely when winds are 15 - 18 km/h from the N or NE? I know the Beaufort Wind Scale describes that as a 'gentle' breeze but how are the waters in that area affected. Targeting walleye.
Would some of the members who are familiar with those waters please give me some guidance?
Many thanks in advance

We are new this year too. The best guide we find is Windy.com. Look at projected waves for the time you want to fish. Lots of info there. If it's been raining much the current coming down Big Otter Creek can make docking challenging - at least for us. Good luck. Be safe. Tight Lines.

1567735961733.png

Port stanley weather bouy. Found on the weather page of this site. If reads 1.0 hieght double it etc. Low North winds I find are better. I like the sail flow forecast. Make sure you check it day of trip changes frequently. I figure roughly anything below 10 pending on direction of wind is good as long as its not straight out of the east or west. Prefered wind for me would be 5 or 6 . I have an 18' legend XTR which is a stable boat, just respect the lake cause she can blow up fast. The members here have educated me on weather. There are multiple post on understanding the forcasts. My thought is if your out and the wave are making you unconfortable trust your gut and head in cause your right. Safety first!

I fished in a 16 kph NE wind at Port Glasgow yesterday morning and it was rolling but still fishable inside of 52 fow although a little uncomfortable when going into the waves. I find if the north winds are 13 kph or less it's much better for not so much rocking around. ;)

Just graduated from a 16ft crestliner. If the big boats were out, so was i. Now that being said, i was all over the weather and my ild boat was hard to keep going in one direction without holding the wheel. If solo, have a kill laniard hooked up should you brave bigger rollers. Marine radios really help as well, let someone know u r there, most wont mind if you shadow them. I typically would just talk to guys at the launch and they will look out for ya. That lake can sneak up on you. Trust me, been there. If solo you can always use this board to let people know of an open seat. Good way to make new friends and get some help in the boat.

Hello, I'm new to the board and fishing Port Burwell. I have a 15' Legend and am wondering if it's possible to fish ( I'm solo ) and still manage boat speed/direction safely when winds are 15 - 18 km/h from the N or NE? I know the Beaufort Wind Scale describes that as a 'gentle' breeze but how are the waters in that area affected. Targeting walleye.
Would some of the members who are familiar with those waters please give me some guidance?
Many thanks in advance
my 2 cents.... wind 'direction' is favourable but flying solo at 15 -18 kph in a 15 footer is not a fun fishing day. Too much attention needed at the helm to do it all yourself.

1. Install autopilot as soon as you can, it will change your life!
2. Much easier to travel side off the wi d to down wind, so troll with the wind and then pull your lines in and go back upwind... rinse and repeat
3. Pro forecast from windalert attched.D9EEDC6A-D872-4FC8-9632-D38FCA1FCAB7.png

Thanks to all, simply great, great information. An autopilot would be the answer, however that's fairly big $$$, maybe Mrs. Clause will take pity on me.
I think the simplest, safest and most economical way to go is to read up and interpret wave/swell periods, wave heights then get on the water and experience them. If it's unmanageable I'll come in.
I have a handheld VHF, is there a channel, other than 9 or16, used by fisherman in that area?

Regards and Thanks again

Tight Lines

Thanks to all, simply great, great information. An autopilot would be the answer, however that's fairly big $$$, maybe Mrs. Clause will take pity on me.
I think the simplest, safest and most economical way to go is to read up and interpret wave/swell periods, wave heights then get on the water and experience them. If it's unmanageable I'll come in.
I have a handheld VHF, is there a channel, other than 9 or16, used by fisherman in that area?

Regards and Thanks again

Tight Lines
Take Mrs. Claus with you and you won’t be solo and she can steer or handle the gear.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks