Repair to rod tips

keeper

Hi

Where is a good place to get broken rod tip replaced ? or is it a do it yourselfie ?

thanks

Keeper

Its a super easy fix if its just the top eye and the break is close to the end...just super glue a new tip eye the right size on and go.
If its down the blank a bit, you might not be able to find a tip guide large enough, so you have to put a footed eye on with wrapping.
I can do both if you're in my area (Union)..I used to do custom rod builds.

I just fixed my abu one piece rod tip bought the tip at cabelas in Barrie be carful there are a couple different sizes just use super glue it worked great for me. If the break is close to the second eye just cut the second eye off and fix it at that point. You will turn your 8 footer to a 7' 8" but it's better than buying a new rod for $100 when a tip is only $1.19

@DaveJ , what do you charge for fixing rods, I work in Talbotville , pretty close to union, I have a 10' okuma dipsey rod, broken tip. PM me if you like. Thanks

My recommendation is to not even try fixing it. While good rods are expensive, once they break you can never ever repair them in a way that restores them. They instantly become the worst rod you own. An inexpensive Walmart special will feel better in your hand, so why bother.

@DaveJ , what do you charge for fixing rods, I work in Talbotville , pretty close to union, I have a 10' okuma dipsey rod, broken tip. PM me if you like. Thanks

Just the cost of a new tip. Call me at 519-631-1448 and if you want to drop it off I can look at it and we can get the parts.

My recommendation is to not even try fixing it. While good rods are expensive, once they break you can never ever repair them in a way that restores them. They instantly become the worst rod you own. An inexpensive Walmart special will feel better in your hand, so why bother.

IMHO it depends on where the break is in relation to the spine of the blank. If its a tip and you loose more than a few inches, it might be a very different blank...depending on what type of action it is...ie..a fast action 7' spinning blank where the majority of the action is in the top 18", loss of 3" is going to change the action to a stiff blank. That same 3" on a 8'6" soft spine rigger rod may not even be very noticeable. I've repaired float rods that broke in the lower section using an insert/wrapping to cover, and they were well worth the repair...albeit a bit stiffer in the mid section.
A tip is a $2 fix, so nothing really risked to try.

A big thanks to @DaveJ . I dropped off my rod for repair on Tuesday, I picked it up today. Looks fantastic. Thanks again for offering your assistance. It was nice to visit with you as well today. Hope to see you on the water!

I never use Krazy Glue. Ever. Hot melt glue holds well and if the centre ever comes out of the tip, a quick wave of a lighter and it is off and a new one installed. Have lost a few tiptops rattling a hookset or 2 off of an overhead tree limb in my day. Have only broke 2 blanks that way in 45 years. Once the blank is broke it is considerably changed in action and weakened. Like @Duck Soup says, she's no longer the same weapon. Time to find a new one. The curve design becomes compromised and will never protect the terminal tackle the same.

I am more than willing to give this repair a chance. It was a long rod, and we lost very little length, so I don't think the action will be compromised. If I'm wrong, I am out nothing. And again thanks @DaveJ for offering your help.

I buy broken rods all the time. A retailer that I frequent busy boxes of st croix returns for pennies on the dollar. I take great pleasure in sorting through a new box when they come in. I've got some rods that would cost $300 plus for $10-15. There are a lot of write offs in the box, but plenty are just missing a bit of the tip. Nothing wrong with em!

I find Gorilla glue the best fix. You can't loose anything with a fix if it's close to the tip. I have plenty I have given a fix. If it's a 8' downrigger rod sensitivity isn't an issue, an ultra lite is a different story, what do you have to loose?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks