Off Topic Repack/Replace Trailer Wheel Bearings

Mickey Finn

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I'm wondering how often you should have the bearings repacked on a Boat Trailer...I always use Bearing Buddies but am curious on how often you repack or replace the bearings on your Trailer.

I've always used bearing buddies on my trailer and have never repacked the bearings. I pump them full of grease before I put the boat away for the winter and that's it. I have had zero issues doing this ever since I can remember and it's in and out of the water numerous times each season.

Thanks Robert...That's pretty much the same as what I've been doing but I wondered if maybe I should get them repacked or replaced at some point...To date I have never had an issue... :cool:

Usually can hear when a bearing is going bad?
That’s when I would replace

Unless you’re suspicious of it happening soon and have a long haul planned

Thanks @Derkd9...I do have a long haul to Lake Nipissing in a couple of weeks.
Everything seems good but I thought I would post the question to get a consensus.

Thanks Robert...That's pretty much the same as what I've been doing but I wondered if maybe I should get them repacked or replaced at some point...To date I have never had an issue... :cool:
Well it doesn't hurt anything if you want to go to the trouble but I've never had a bearing go using Bearing Buddies. We hauled the trailer around the north moose hunting for 30 years with no problems whatsoever. One year we even hauled a 14 ft. Lund with a ton of gear inside with an 18 ft. freighter canoe strapped on top for 31 hours, 2,258 km each way moose hunting up in WMU 1C and still never had a single issue using Bearing Buddies. I did pump them with grease half way there and again half way back home but all was good. 👍:)

Every 3 years,I take my double axle 5500 lb. boat to Cambridge Spring for repack bearings/replace seals--the bearings are usually still good---whenever I see a boat trailer on the 401, the issue is a bearing or flat tire-----so---for about $100/year,I feel very safe---doing this since 1988 and had all good towing experiences-----on another note, I also buy C-Tow for $105/year and it's good for my son's boat too---never had to use it Yet CAA on the water is Awesomeness---for those of us who have towed in a boat that lost power, I think every boat leaving the harbor should be Vaxxed with a C-Tow sticker-----Safety is AllWays a priority

Each year I Jack up each side of trailer and spin the wheels listen for any grind noise etc then with both hands I grab the wheel and see if there’s any play there should be just a little movement if it’s to loose I take bearing buddy off remove key and tighten up the bearing

Never repacked after installing Bearing Buddies. At end of season, I jack my trailers up off the ground and block the frame to keep tires from flat spotting. At that point I check for excess play etc in the hub but have never found any. Thats on my old boat. On my new one, the wheel hubs have the "SuperLube" system installed. Basically instead of just adding grease and keeping it pressurized, the SuperLube system actually allows you to replace the grease in the entire hub by pumping it out from one side to the other. Pretty slick set up from what I can see.

I'm wondering how often you should have the bearings repacked on a Boat Trailer...I always use Bearing Buddies but am curious on how often you repack or replace the bearings on your Trailer.
You should always check your bearings in the Fall to make sure you don't have any water trapped inside the hub from going in and out of the water. The other suggestions for checking for any free play in the wheel or any grinding noises is a great suggestion. But I always pull my hubs off and inspect for water damage i.e. corrosion or obvious water inside. The last thing you want is for water to sit inside the hub all winter.

Also, don't just keep pumping grease into your bearing buddies with the thought that more is better. If a hub is stuffed full of grease and then heat expansion happens while driving, you will rupture the inner seal and that will allow grease out and water in. Always leave a little air space inside your hubs for heat expansion.

Taking your hubs/wheels off once each Fall before storage is a small price to pay for piece of mind on the road. And its always best to replace your inner seals with new ones when doing this. They cost about $3 each and they are the weakest link in your trailer hub system because of the delicate little rubber seal.

Usually can hear when a bearing is going bad?
That’s when I would replace

Unless you’re suspicious of it happening soon and have a long haul planned

By the time they’re making noise they’re already well past when they should be replaced. First comes movement, next comes sound, then comes sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck.

When winterizing the boat jack up the trailer and see if there is any play in the wheels.

Bearing buddies are great because they put the grease under pressure so you never have to worry about grease not getting where it should be. Be sure to use premium marine grade grease. Cheap standard grease is practically useless on boat trailers.

My trailer hub mfg recommends Lucas Oil Red and Tacky which is a waterproof, red grease, makes sense to me. And its pretty cheap.

Agreed on the jack up up and move laterally check. I also have a habit of inspecting the inside of the rim once in a while. Just bend down and make sureythi g looks good that tgee is no sign of thrown grease o n the rim - one of the telltale signs of a failing seal and pending problem. I wipe down the inside a couple times a year so a quick glance let's me know. Saved me once before I set out on a trip to Nipigon

If the bearing buddies have grease, and no signs of leaking front or back, good to go. If the bearing buddie doesn't take grease when needed, may be a sign of contamination, look further

I change mine every year at the start of the year when I change the lower gear oil,fuel filter and plugs. There is nothing to it and only cost about 50$ for 3500lb bearings and seals. Even if they seem fine I'll change them becouse I make a lot of runs to the water.. this year 33 since July 1st. So that means I dunked the bearings in water 66times. There was a good dozen or 2 trips to the bay before the lockdown as well now that I think about it. It Gives me 1 less thing to worry about while making these 3hr round trips to burwell.

Jack it up Grab the wheel at 9&3 or 12&6 and give it a good shake, try and make it move. Give it a spin.. ANY play or hint of grinding is no good and should be replaced.

All this talk of bearings has me thinking I should give mine a spin&shake today!

Bearing buddies don't do much for the rear bearings. If the grease at the back is contaminated putting more grease at the front doesn't help. Jack and shake once a year is a good idea. So is keeping a spare set of bearings with the boat.

Switch to oil bath hubs, best thing I ever did. Just change the oil every couple of years. Come standard on most E-Z loader trailers now.

ya I got a seal thats needs to be replaced on my ez loader trailer..put alot of miles on it..

after market replacement kits if ya can find them and change both sides..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks