release issue

Helmut

Well finally managed to pry 2 nice walleye from erie out if bruce. Been a slow year for me.
Anyway back to the same old problem of the little green scotty releases not releasing from the board line. Dragged one 8 lb walleye around for who knows how long.
I am begining to suspect the big green walker boards i use are not pulling hard enough to allow releases to trigger when hit.
Any opinions???

Good question, I'm just getting into planner boards. From what I hear and read you really need to be dialed in to your equipment and wave conditions. Guys have shown me a dozen different ways to rig the releases. From elastic bands tied in 6 different knots to cloths pins and so on. Every guy says there way is best.

It seems to be complicated, is it really worth it all? Didn't mean to hi-jack, sorry.

I have had decent luck with elastic bands and shower curtain hooks. You can see the elastic bands stretch when a fish is on.

Yeah I did a trip with Riggins a few years back and he used rubber bands a shower hooks. I should really try that. Will have to find out what size bands though. Pretty sure the mail man ones may be a bit heavyo_O

I had same problem with the scotty release on weekend and dragged a 5 lb.............looked online ...those clips are best suited for thin monofilament under 20lb or flourocarbon.....
i was useing 30lb power pro braid which is backing on the leadcore reel.....i am new to planerboards and think i will be triing elastic bands as well as some of the offshore tackle releases which u can slide the spring from hard too light.

The paper elastics work great. And I get a bag of 500 from the paper guy every year!

The shower hooks and elastics are what the guys here I fish with use. They tie some fancy loops to hold it on. The problem I see with the elastics is you had better have 20/20 vision to see an elastic band from 50 yards away, especially when the boards are bouncing up and down Erie waves. I'm reading here somewhere were guys are using flags, but they have issues as well.

What about a balloon on a release? I can see a balloon no mater how high the waves are. Would that work?

A balloon would be a great idea,:rolleyes: you could even coordinate the color of the balloon to the lure you are using! (y) New trend! Just when you thought you had seen it all.

We used elastics a couple times last year, size #19 attached to the shower curtain of the planer boards. Worked well running leadcore with spoons or body baits, the bands snapped everytime we landed a fish. Didn't work so great running deep diving spoons, would snap on the outside every time wed make a turn because of the increased drag.

I better patend it $$$$$$$$. But I'm too late, I saw the ballons on lines when we fished the Keys off Islamorada years back. That's when I first saw the kites flying to get the lines out. That was 20 years ago and I asked the skipper why he didn't use a planner board. His answer was " what's a planner board?"

They still use kites off shore down south. Maybe I should " go fly a kite", it's been suggested to me many times before.

The green Scottie's are the best releases on braid I have found they will hold in the chop well if they are not releasing set them a little lighter don't put the line as far in

I agree with moose man. You can set the Scotty's to whatever sensitivity you want by the distance you put the line.into the clip.

TCAT tried them today. I had 16s and 19s to try. They held fine enough but still I could not even break them off when bringing the lines in. SO I figure no fish is going to break them off either. This all confirms for me my planer boards are not pulling worth a darn.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks