Recommendations on a new prop

zzguffy901

Good evening,

I am looking to buy a spare prop for my 2014 evinrude etec 50 hp. I have no idea where to start. I googled it and there seems to be 100 options. I understand the pitch and assumed I would stick in the middle around 13, after that I am lost. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

What ever you go with make sure you have the right rpms those etec, s are a little touchy wrong rpms wrong oil mixture for your computer

Are you replacing a broken prop or do you want an upgrade?

i just want a spare. I’m perfectly fine with whatever is on there but I don’t actually know what that is. I’m headed north in July and I know how often someone loses a prop to a rock so wanted to be Prepared

Most Props have what size and pitch they are stamped on them, have a close look at yours if you want the exact same size prop.

zz, this is not just about buying a prop. Take some time, figure out what prop you have ... by looking at it. It is not that hard. Read about what props work best on your given engine. Turning Point Props has a great app for matching their props to your boat. If I was going to spend the money on a new prop I would get a turning point 4 blade stainless steel prop. but that doesnt sound right for you... it seems your search is somewhat willy nilley.

also what is the point in having a spare prop on board? do you often come in contact with hard surfaces?

Make sure you budget for a prop wrench as well. not expensive, but pretty much required if you want to do a swap in the field.
Also +1 for going with the same pitch and size as what you currently have, or at least use that as the basis for any other decisions.

If your fishing up north On rocky lakes Id go aluminum. There are 3 things that you need to look for. Diameter, pitch and the number of splines. Your. 50 etec should be a 13 spline. The pitch and diameter will be stamped on the side of your old prop. If your happy with the performance of your boat, you can just match those numbers. If you want your engine to rev higher at full throttle go with less pitch. If you want your motor to rev lower at full throttle go with a little more pitch. Less pitch usually results in a faster plane and more pitch usually results in faster top speed but less plane performance. In the attached pic, the prop has a 14.5 inch diameter and a pitch of 19.

Attachments

• 16CF2EB2-1757-4B51-AE4B-EA3C9E76B32E.png
    16CF2EB2-1757-4B51-AE4B-EA3C9E76B32E.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 23
Used my spare prop in Kipawa last summer . Saved the last 1/2 of the trip well worth having. With a 50hp and assuming the boat runs fine now, I'd get the numbers off the current prop and get the same. Don't forget tools to change it.

Thanks for the replies I will be sure to check out the prop on there now. I’m a noob when it comes to boating so I figure why not ask the guys who have been doing it for years, thanks!

If your fishing up north On rocky lakes Id go aluminum. There are 3 things that you need to look for. Diameter, pitch and the number of splines. Your. 50 etec should be a 13 spline. The pitch and diameter will be stamped on the side of your old prop. If your happy with the performance of your boat, you can just match those numbers. If you want your engine to rev higher at full throttle go with less pitch. If you want your motor to rev lower at full throttle go with a little more pitch. Less pitch usually results in a faster plane and more pitch usually results in faster top speed but less plane performance. In the attached pic, the prop has a 14.5 inch diameter and a pitch of 19.
Just browsing and was wondering the reasoning of aluminum for rocky lakes. Cheaper therefore more sacrificial? Softer absorbing shock that harms the bottom end? Just curious. Thanks

Id actually consider one of those plastic pirhanna props with replaceable blades for a rocky northern lake. Bring some replacement blades and if you shear one off you can fix it and likely do no harm to your lower unit. Even with an aluminum prop a good solid smack off a rock can harm gears and bend propshafts.

So I know what I need, anyone have recommendations on where to buy? Going to go with an aluminum 13.75x13. Ive searched up And down on google and the options are limited.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks