Off Topic Ramp Repair & 169 LB Sturgeon

• Thread starter Deleted member 7631
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7631

Port Rowan ramp north side has an underwater pot hole the size to 2.5 gallon pail !! I just change my passenger side trailer tire due to side wall damage - two bulges on the same tire. One likely from dropping into hole launching the boat. The second one on same tire from unfortunately hitting that same hole when loading the boat. Opposite sides of the same tire. -- Anyway. - at least it didn't blow on the trip home. Yet I see others looking at their tires after pulling their boats out. - Who do contact to get that hole filled with concrete? Anyone know?

Was at a celebration last evening held at a local restaurant. Here is a photo from their wall? What restaurant did we visit?
169 lb sturgeon from Lake Erie.

Attachments

• IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited by a moderator:
Port Rowan ramp north side has an underwater pot hole the size to 2.5 gallon pail !! I just change my passenger side trailer tire due to side wall damage - two bulges on the same tire. One likely from dropping into hole launching the boat. The second one on same tire from unfortunately hitting that same hole when loading the boat. Opposite sides of the same tire. -- Anyway. - at least it didn't blow on the trip home. Yet I see others looking at their tires after pulling their boats out. - Who do contact to get that hole filled with concrete? Anyone know?

Was at a celebration last evening held at a local restaurant. Here is a photo from their wall? What restaurant did we visit?
Cool photo

Talking about sturgeon in April of 2021 a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service crew caught a 240-pound sturgeon in the Detroit River. It was 6-foot-10 inches long with a girth of nearly 4 feet and around 100 years old! However that's small compared to the one caught in August of 2021 on the Fraser River in BC. A Canadian fisherman landed a rare and massive albino sturgeon that very well could be a world record with the fish measuring an amazing 11 feet, 2 inches and weighing an estimated 1,000 pounds or more. Rumor has it it came on a RRF behind a Dipsy. 😉😂

1659895257266.png 1659895647845.png

That Photo is on the WALL at Erie Beach Restaurant in Dover.

Marina Manager
Phone: 519-426-5870 x 2225 or email at janet.blackburn@norfolkcounty.ca
Janet looks after Port Dover and Port Rowan marinas.

What to look for if you drop a tire in large pot hole. Tire guy suggested it was likely one event. Tire dropped in and backed it out and then drove forward. -- That is exactly what I did - the second time pulling the boat out of the water. Basically side wall point of impact damage adjacent sides. Look for bulges afterwards. -- circled the bulges in white in the photo below. Tires were only 10lbs under max load. Should be 80 lb psi for this C rated tire. Was 70 lb psi. So that doesn't really matter much. Especially looking at the depth on the pot hole where the damage occurred.
I share this for others who may have used Port Rowan Ramp this summer. What to look for. Passenger side tire when backing your boat in.

Attachments

• IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    389.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the Port Bruce Marina Ramp? I was planning on going there this weekend from Guelph. If it is Port Bruce I will avoid it. I just Changed trailer tires in March of this year. I do not plan on buying another one.

You can avoid the pot hole in Port Rowan if you align on the south side of the ramp. Furthest away from the Dock - not easy to launch that way. - but doable until they fill the hole with rock or under water cement patch. You can't see the pot hole its in 2 FOW near the bottom of the ramp.

Speaking of Sturgeon, they catch them in the Niagara river down stream from Queenston ramp. Down river from the river boat boarding area. We had one drag us around in 2016. It broke off in the currents after about a 20 minute work out.

Can a stake with a flag be hammered into the hole until the repair is done?

Sounds like one can launch and avoid it, the flag would take the guess work out of it. 🌻

They might just drop 4 gallons of coarse rock there for now. That would work until patched.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks