Rainbow help

Honkey Donkey

Hi folks
I see that a lot of boats fish walleye and once they hit their limit they head out to deeper water for a run at catching rainbows.
What changes do you make for the set up?
Is it just speed and fow?

thanks for any input.
;)

Lure selection would be the first for me
Any orange/gold spoons and bodybaits
Ac shiners bodybaits are my first choice
Depth of water would be second to run my bait in they like the upper level of the lakes so sliders on the riggers usually gets them
Speed would be the third factor bump it up 2.9 to 3.3 on GPS
That's exactly what we did yesterday and paid off with 3 rainbows ,and still got walleye as well
The depth we got them in was 57 to 62 fow
But I had got them in as shallow as 38 fow
Another thing I like to do if there is stained water next to clear water I go in and out from clear to stained
Just to verify you need to have a visible difference of the water within a few feet not when its goes from stained slowly to clear like a mile away ,just like when stained river water enters the lake you can see the color line

Hi folks
I see that a lot of boats fish walleye and once they hit their limit they head out to deeper water for a run at catching rainbows.
What changes do you make for the set up?
Is it just speed and fow?

thanks for any input.
;)
You dont have to go deep. Any depth but a faster haul. 3mph. Flat line with a diving rapala, orange chrome or similar. Flat line with a poor man's downrigger 4oz and 4' leader behind it with chrome ripplin red fin or chrome and blue. They are plentiful. Catch them with your walleye gear. Dipsys or riggers.

Preferred temp is lower for Steelies ? They are more likely to hang out in a little cooler water than the eyes.....that said, they have no problem moving into warmer water for short periods to feed if required. We've got bows the last 3 trips and all right along with the Walleye in the warmer surface layer.

Josh

I too would like to know! I try and make goals for the year. This year is to land a bow!

That's a good goal @Waldo peters , they are truly an exciting fish to have on the line.

Whenever one hooks up there is the unanimous outburst of "RAINBOW" on the boat. ? (doesn't happen nearly enough)

There is no mistaking the difference. ???

I have never set out to catch one, but I hope every day one of my offerings gets their interest.

Last edited:
Got 6 bows was yesterday. Seems to be one out of every six fish now out of Glasgow. 60-70 ft of water. Got them on 5 and 10 colour core. Blueberry muffin and black and chrome Redfin. Got one on a dipsey out 110 on a 3.

Thanks everyone.
We snuck out yesterday and were on the water by 5pm.
We hit them fast at 44' but then nothing. We did have a 6-7 colour out and that was the trick caught 3 of the 4 eyes.
But now realise we had our sets too deep. Dipsy's were at 3 settings and 135' out......too deep.
Riggers set at 35-45' with only a 10-15' leed.
Next trip out we will adjust and update.
?

Thanks everyone.
We snuck out yesterday and were on the water by 5pm.
We hit them fast at 44' but then nothing. We did have a 6-7 colour out and that was the trick caught 3 of the 4 eyes.
But now realise we had our sets too deep. Dipsy's were at 3 settings and 135' out......too deep.
Riggers set at 35-45' with only a 10-15' leed.
Next trip out we will adjust and update.
?

Took a couple buddy's out yesterday at 5pm.. dipsys on a 3 setting 120 and 150 out, riggers at 35 and 40(30' leads), with sliders .. by 8pm we put 4 bows in the boat, and probably close to 50 eyes were caught and mostly released. couldn't get dipsys to desired depth and they would have an eye on,, riggers were bringing up an eye on main line and also the cheater at the same time multiple times. Adjust your speed and change spoon colours. Anything orange and 2.8-3.5mph

When out with @Wave Runner, I think we tried dipseys anywhere from 45' to 110' and I don't know if any of the 'bows hit on the Dipseys... it was hard to remember with 40 or so walleye mixed in... pretty sure the last acrobat I lost was off the rigger... that fish put on good show after running the boat but was too "green" for me to handle

3-3.5 mph. worked best for me. I run 4 to 7 color lead core with anything blue and silver...preferably spoons. I found body baits tend to start rolling at speeds over 2.8 so I stick to spoons for that reason. So far this year, the results have been favorable.

Doesn't mater what you use, get in the zone of the fish and you will catch. Read passed post, color, baits, body baits, worm harness, spoons, colors, what ever. Read the posts. Burwell is polluted with Walleye. Stay away from lead core, go with braid on dipsy and mono on riggers, you'll be fine. You may not fill your cooler as fast but you will enjoy your fishing better. I tell you, you will have much more fun catching a Sheephead or Rainbow than dragging a Walleye in on Leadcore.
Just Saying.

When out with @Wave Runner, I think we tried dipseys anywhere from 45' to 110' and I don't know if any of the 'bows hit on the Dipseys... it was hard to remember with 40 or so walleye mixed in... pretty sure the last acrobat I lost was off the rigger... that fish put on good show after running the boat but was too "green" for me to handle
If I remember right 1 of the bows hit on the Dipsy and other 36 on the riggers.

time and location with right cooler water temps is everything getting on a pod of aggressive/receptive bows...they move frequently...fishing the choppy waters best for many off glasgow...erieau and wheatly...use to be big numbers..some days 25 bows on my boat with buddy and plenty of limits...my past stanley limits were mid to late june..older year classes like the skamania produced exceptional fighting abilities...including a few reckless vengence shock breakoffs i still remember..and also hit your baits and tear off like a king salmon...that talk crossed the lake a few seasons..great memories for sure...my personal best is still 17 lbs off the lighthouse catching limits too...

spoons off the riggers...sliders too...my selection of lymans were secondary and worked good too..

up high bows 3 to 4 colours lead off the inline boards..

Last edited:
Awesome feed back!
Thanks everyone......I remember last year having lost a few set ups because the fish hit so hard and violently ...now think maybe they were Bows and big ones.

I got a little worked up chatting about catching past rainbows...well there is no better place to fishing big numbers of chrome today then Lake Michigan...incredible fishery that cost a fortune...everybody wants salmon..

justa quote on michigan 2018 season

And not only was the fishing great for King Salmon, but at the same time there was solid offshore action for Coho Salmon and Steelhead, while there was also terrific action for Lake Trout on structure closer to shore. The fishing possibilities were truly phenomenal.

Many of the locals and old timers couldn’t recall a time when King Salmon were so plentiful and sizable, at the same moment in time.

Tournament records were being broken week after week. Coolers were being broken. Charter fishing clients and fishermen alike were getting spoiled on a daily basis. Bait and tackle shops along the southern Lake Michigan shoreline were reaping the benefits of all the gear being destroyed by so many big and feisty King Salmon.

Last edited:
Back