Question on Lead Core setup

FisherPrice

I am new to the lead core set up. Always used riggers in the past. With all the recent talk of this method, I have decided to set some of my rods up with this.

My understanding is that I start my reel with +/- 100 yards of mono, then add my 100 yards of 10 color lead core. From there use another piece of mono +/- five feet to a snap swivel where I attach my lure.

For the experts out there...Does this sound correct??

Thanks in advance.

i would use at the least a 25 foot leader so that you would have a few turns around the spool when the fish arrives to the boat.

I use braid for the backing due to the fact that 100 yards of leadcore takes a lot of reel space and flouro for the leader(20-30ft).
I strip about 4" of lead out of the sheathe and use the albright knot http://www.animatedknots.com/albrig...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com to tie it together. Use the braid as the blue line on the braid to leadcore knot and the leadcore as the blue line on the leadcore to flouro knot. Double uni is also good but I find that the albright comes through the guide easier. Clip a greasy chicken wing on 10 colour and you're good to go.
Double_uni.jpg

Just be careful that your backing and core will all fit on your reel. I once tried to put backing and 10 colour on a reel that I had mono on for downrigging and it wouldn't all fit on. I agree...about 25 feet of fluorocarbon or mono is good as you need to retie occasionally and lose a few inches each time.

i like using a double overhand knot, after removing and replacing 4 inches off the inner lead with your backing.

a small needle will be needed to thread braid through the sheath because of its limpness.

I prefer a reel with a line counter once you find the fish you just let out a same amount of line

25 feet I think is too short...I reccommend 50 to 60 feet for leader length... I use fluorcarbon line... then after catching a few walleye check for nicks and wear on the line and shorten it up a couple feet and retie your quality ball bearing snap swivel...I have been using 50 to 60 foot leaders of fluorcarbon line for years.You also get more wave action with the 50 to 60 foot leader... I use the same leader on lake huron effectively for salmon and trout...where huron water visability is very clear up to 20 feet.. Hey if you got 2 lead core set-ups try the 60 foot length and try the 25 foot length and see which one catches more walleye....and lasts longer?
To fill up an Okuma Convector 45D level wind line counter reel.... backing 200 yards of 20 Lb big game (green) + 10 colours of regular tuffline 27lb lead core + 60 feet of 20 pound fluorocarbon leader...all done tightly on the machine at the tackle shop with his knots for $20 plus tax per reel...which is good value....I have 5 leadcore rod & reel set-ups and just recently had mine replaced...

75 yards Big game 20# test, 100 yards lead core, 30' fluorocarbon leader....It just fit nice with little room to spare....the lead core does really eat up space on a reel in hurry. Now time to catch the first walleye with this set up...Thanks for all the input...

If you have 2 reels that are the same size .Spool one backwards 25 ' of fluorocarbon leader , leadcore then as much 50lb braid backer line . Then just wind it back on the other reel . I use as much backer line as possible because I also use my lead core for salmon fishing . If you use to long of a leader, your lure will lose the waving action of the leadcore. try using a willis knot for the leader to the leadcore .

Backing of a spool of 20lb braid and 12 colours of micro leadcore then 40 feet of 20lb fluorocarbon. It all depends on what line capacity reel you have. It will be the maiden voyage of the new thinner leadcore. The jury is out. On a entry level Okuma XL. It took all the line.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks