question for "seasoned" anglers

Buckhorn

My dad will be 65 this year, and was wondering how licensing will work for him.

For fishing, he does not need a license, but is his catch limit the same as sport or conservation?

For hunting, does he still need a license and purchase tags for turkey, deer, etc?

Also for fishing, what would the limit be for my kids (10, 8 years)

Thanks

I believe the fishing thing for your kids and dad will be the full limit. I could be wrong but have fished with 2 older guys and they brought it up. Hunting doesn't change as far as tags and that goes.

there is so many answers to those questions you well be better of to call the ministry and talk to them

If he turned 65 before Jan 1 he should be fine. If after I'd buy the license just to be safe. Don't want to leave interpretation to the CO's. Also I believe my father who is 70 still buys his tags for hunting. Kids fishing under age 16 is sport fishing limits but you can choose to fish conservation

There's the confusion. No clear answer in the regs, different opinions based on experiences. I will call the ministry and See if they know:banghead:.

I don't want to take dad and the kids fishing, come off the water with 200 perch and a pair of handcuffs!

There is really no confusion, the regs are actually quite clear in this regard. Both your dad and the kids have a full sportfishing limit as long as he is already 65 and the kids are still under 18. From Page 4 of the regs:

A person is deemed to be the holder of a Recreational Fishing Licence if they are:

1.Residents of Ontario and Canada under 18 years old, or 65 years of age or older and in possession of any licence, permit, certificate or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates their name and date of birth.

Those who qualify to fish with a deemed licence must follow the same catch and possession limits as a Sport Fishing Licence.

Last edited:
Thanks g mech, duckman. I read that in the regs, but didn't put those two paragraphs together.

@G.Mech is absolutely correct on the fishing end. I'm 65 and as for the hunting end your father will still need a hunting version outdoors card as well as a license and tag for whatever game he pursues. The exemption at 65 only applies to the fishing licence.

I checked with His Worship Senior Justice of the Peace (my dad) and if he is sixty five (not turning 65 that year but 65 as of the day he is fishing) no license required but would have to produce valid government identification if he was asked to. Load up the freezer! But follow legal catch and possesion laws. And make sure there is a life jacket for everyone in the boat!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks