Off Topic Question for Coffee Snobs ;-)

hvyhaul

Don't know how many of you grind your own coffee beans, but while in Cuba a couple of weeks back, I fell in love with drinking Expresso with my cigar. (y):happy:?

I received an Expresso Machine for Christmas and now I need a grinder capable of that grind.

Been researching, and I've narrowed it down, buuuuuuuuuut......... :)

Any suggestions? TIA

Well @hvyhaul , don't know if I qualify as a snob, but I've been grinding my own beans with a Rancilio Rocky grinder for 11 years now. Haven't done a thing to it beyond loading it with coffee and the odd clean-up. It started sounding a little differently recently, but still grinding away :)

I think you would want a burr grinder... good article here... http://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-coffee-grinders.html .

Edit - @Mrs. Stomp reviewed this content and pointed out that she, armed with Q-Tips and a damp cloth, was the one that completed the odd clean-ups.

That was the direction I was leaning @stomp , a stainless steel burr grinder, thanks for the reply.

Based on the link provided and the $$$ value involved, if I really stretch it, you might be a coffee snob. LOL ?

$1600.00 for a cup of coffee, coffee not included. LOL :happy:

@chefboyardee , that's funny. ?

We couldn't find one of ours years ago, stumbled on it a kid's room.... guess we need to buy another grinder eh there wifeee? ??

I don't drink coffee but for weed I recommend CNC machined anodized aluminum manual grinders. The cheapies loose chrome over time and are shredders instead of grinders. I also prefer the lager hole sizes so a seed or 2 can pass through easily instead of getting ground up. Taints the taste of the strain and wastes good seed. ;)

I picked up a cuisinart burr grinder from costco last year, works well so far but I have not tried it for espresso . If you can't find one you will just have to go back to Cuba.....
Good luck

Maybe the Cubans thought we were coffee snobs because we could never cope with drinking Expresso way too strong for us. After drinking my first cup I thought I was going to call 911. ;) My wife and I have always enjoyed our fresh perked dark roast coffee with real cream so had no idea the first year in Cuba what we were going to do. Ended up after some experimenting that 1/2 cup of expresso mixed with 1/2 cup of boiling water made it drinkable for us. LOL!!! You can't get real cream there and we couldn't take the whipped powered milk they use either so also put in a tablespoon of Coffee Mate borrowed from my sister which completed the trick. We just have to have our morning coffee :coffee: so every year after that we took about 3 lbs. of Coffee Mate to get us through the 2 week vacation. ?

Funny you should say that @Wave Runner , first morning the Wife and I asked for cream and our server Yudi was completely confused by the request. I could see the wheels turning as she tried to come to an understanding.

She disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a coffee cup full of a yellow looking cream like substance.

I thought, "Oh no, what is this stuff?" I gathered up the courage, picked it up and smelled it..... ALCOHOL!!!!! NICE!!!! Apparently Yudi had brought us Crema Catalana as her interpretation of creme for coffee.

The Wife was grinning ear to ear every morning as Yudi would come to the table with "our coffee cream". :happy: :)

Unfortunately, when we got around to trying to buy some to bring home at the airport, it wasn't available. :(:(

I drink mine black but with sugar which even seems to rise a Cuban eyebrow... ? Coffee should be fresh roasted then ground and drank black no nothing in it . That's how the people that grow it drink it. Canadians think a double double from timmies is the only coffee in the world... pfffffft ! If you don't like expresso ask for café American ? BTW ; You have to find the right place for coffee as it differs even in the same hotel complex.

It's all subjective to each person's taste.

I was given the Expresso machine so I live with its abilities and limitations for now. I followed the advice @stomp provided, and have purchased a grinder beyond the machine's capability. So when I upgrade the Expresso machine in the future, I will have an equal pairing.

The regular drip coffee is so lacking now. LOL. I l'll be grinding every pot of that as soon as the preground is used up.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my Breville Smart Grinder Pro. But don't get the cheaper Breville model. It has a plastic part that wears out. Fortunately they replaced mine with the Smart Pro for free.

Hola amigo ! Nothing..... and I mean nothing will ever replace the flavour of that morning cup of coffee in Cuba.

You're right @Old Cut LongPointer but I've come to the point where I've got a happy place lol. :giggle:

A double shot of espresso added to a cup of fresh ground drip coffee, based on 14 grams ground of fresh beans, mid 20 second pull, and a little cream.

Even the Mrs had to admit it's damn good. :unsure::coffee::giggle:?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks