Question about new down riggers

Finally Fishing

Hi guys,

I am going to buy 2 riggers for my boat. I had cannon manuals years ago but I want electric now.

Which is better? Scotty or Cannon or Big Jon ??

Thanks in advance.

scotty or walkers cant go wrong with either of them scotty has a 60''boom and has the fastest retrieval of all electric riggers I have had both and both have advantages and disadvantages

Big Jon -- but I haven't tried the others. My dad bought the captains pack big jons ~25 years ago and they are now on my boat. If you ever need anything from them they build them in Interlochen Michigan (bit of a drive, not a day trip) and stand by their stuff. Drop them an email and they will figure out what they can do. They are a bit more expensive. Always have been.

I think the other brands look funny ;)

Walker Capt Pak for sure. BEST value out there.
Big Jon - pay TOOO much for the name.
Scotty - WWAAAYY too wide (take up the whole width of the transom, leaving little room between them, gravity down of the ball, not controlled decent like the Walker. (have had mine along time now. The oldest 2 were bought in the late '90s and no problems other than losing 2 balls on the bottom due to my inattention to the contour.
But, ultimately your choice.

BillO.
London

I agree you pay a premium on the name with Big Jon but also because they are reliable, they look great, they resell well, you can buy replacement parts, fix them yourself, and they aren't made out of plastic.

IMG_2767_Grimsby.jpg

Big Jon -- but I haven't tried the others. My dad bought the captains pack big jons ~25 years ago and they are now on my boat. If you ever need anything from them they build them in Interlochen Michigan (bit of a drive, not a day trip) and stand by their stuff. Drop them an email and they will figure out what they can do. They are a bit more expensive. Always have been.

I think the other brands look funny ;)

there is a guy in port credit that is an offical service centre for big jon. i have 2 on my boat and i have never fished anything else. so i guess its what you know, that keeps you coming back. i had mine totally rebuilt 2 years ago and they still run like the day i bought them. 20 years ago . if something goes wrong they are really easy to work on yourself. the swivel bases are a must on any DR DONT CHEAP OUT IN THIS AREA .

Finally Fishing.....I own Big Jon riggers and have since 1981. Big Jon are definitely durable but far from the best I've used. Even new models are painfully slow and the shut off system is still unreliable. I'm not sure what type I'd buy if I replaced my riggers but I doubt it would be the same brand.

Hi guys,

I am going to buy 2 riggers for my boat. I had cannon manuals years ago but I want electric now.

Which is better? Scotty or Cannon or Big Jon ??

Thanks in advance.

I have a pair of Speed Trolls with Cannon extendable booms for sale, solid units, excellent riggers, $500 for the pair, includes new sockets for install.

Call 1-519-276-1135 if your interested in seeing them, I'm in Woodstock.

If you want new, don't waste your time with toys, buy the Cannons with extendable booms, easy storage, fast retrieve, solid riggers.

Regards,

U-290

Attachments

• SPEED TROLL IMG_20140614_163806.jpg
    SPEED TROLL IMG_20140614_163806.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 17
I have Walkers and cannon mag 10 . Both units work great no problems with them in 4 years . I like the auto cannon ball retrieve on the walker.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks