Question about a CB antenna

FrankTheTank

Ive noticed alot of people here are or were truck drivers and i had a question regaurding my cobra ltd 29 chrome classic cb I was driving a ford ranger and had a cobra 42" anttena from crappy T it was ok for me but i had to trim it down about a 1/2" to calibrate i need a new anttena and am now drivi g a dodge dakota i was looki g to up grade but i dont know much about the annttenas i see smaller ones are available would they be as powerful as a larger anntenna also if i had to take a half inch off the 42 would one of the 24" wirk or would it be too small already.
Thanks for any info guys

Dont think a 24 " would work very well k40 magnet mount used to be a good antenna

It's been a while since I provided my own equipment. Companies normally put crap products in their trucks just so they can say CB radio.

I have bought Hy-Gain, Valor Warrior, K-40 antennas and heard Wilson has some good stuff.

They are all metal, some bottom load, some center load.

Fiberglass are really tough to tune and I have no use for that style based on never having decent results from them.

Good luck. 🌻

Last edited:
Dont think a 24 " would work very well k40 magnet mount used to be a good antenna

If you go this route do not cut the whip, you tune the K40 by trimming the coax length, looking for the lowest SWR on 20 and then after that by moving the whip in or out of the coil to get the same SWR on 01 and 40.

Hopefully flat 1:1 on 20 and less than 1:5 - 1 on the ends. 🌻

Last edited:

Yeah wuz pretty bad @stomp

I had a Hy-Gain 40 Channel SSB radio "peaked" which is where they turn up the power until the modulation drops and then set it, a pair of five foot Valor Warriors that were center loaded and a coax harness mix of house coax and 50% of a dual antenna harness.

That with a very unique pre-amp noise cancelling microphone, that sucker would sing. LoL

Oiy was such a Nerd, had to have the best or nothing. So ashamed . 🫣😞🌻

I understood some of those words....

I understood some of those words....
There is a Radio Shop in Ayr Lazer Audio 519-513-0377 that sells and installs and repairs They mounted an Antenna on my Fender on my 2017 GMC so its not on my roof. He wanted to know where l got my radio tuned up and by who

@FrankTheTank Did a little reading......

Wilson 1000 to 5000 or

K40 or K30 "shorter model".

They are all bottom loaded, using a coil at the base to replicate a 102" antenna.

Reviews are pretty strong on Wilson.

I have used a K40 and it is a stellar performer.

These are magnetic mount, if you want a bracket mount you'll need to do more research. 🌻

Here’s one for sale, I bought at the truck stop at Wellington and 401 in 2019 when we went to Alaska and NWT for 3 months. Hooked it up but never needed to use it.
From magnetic base to tip is 40” and whip is 36”. $25

Attachments

• IMG_9496.jpeg
    IMG_9496.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 16
Here’s one for sale, I bought at the truck stop at Wellington and 401 in 2019 when we went to Alaska and NWT for 3 months. Hooked it up but never needed to use it.

Best price I've seen for one of them. 🌻

K40's were always a great antenna . I had a Wilson 1000 on my pickup like 40 yrs ago and that one was the best by far . Only mobile antenna I could talk skip on .

Thank you @GPS for that price i would deffentally giver her a try i have heard wilson being one of the top brands i dont really know to much about the cbs and the whips but i do love having in the truck to scan thru and see whats going on. Where would you be located i could arrange to come pick it up from you. I live in wellandport but i work in hamilton monday to friday untill 5 or 6. Thanks again

That's a long trip Frank for an antenna. I'm a 1/2 hr west of London but will be heading to Cayuga between now and spring if you're not in a hurry.

I run from waterford to blenheim most days come back east from blenheim at 8.am usually if i can be assistance in helping the transfer let me know just send a pm

I run from waterford to blenheim most days come back east from blenheim at 8.am usually if i can be assistance in helping the transfer let me know just send a pm
I need a suitcase picked up in Port Huron and delivered to Londontown…

• Wow
Reactions: GPS
That's a long trip Frank for an antenna. I'm a 1/2 hr west of London but will be heading to Cayuga between now and spring if you're not in a hurry.
No sir no hurry here i dont think theres going to be a sudden rise in cb'ers out there i would apreciate you doing that i do have a buddy in newburry he might be coming my way next weekend to watch me curl i could always cash in a favour with him to stop he will be passing london on the way down and thanks again

I'm less than 5 minutes from Newbury so pm me and I can share info with you. I likely know him, only 400 people in our towns.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks