Puff ball and venison

PlanB

Found a late puff ball paired with the last of the venison steaks from last season! The mushroom was a little yellow inside but big enough to get some outside cuts!

Attachments

• IMG_2782.jpeg
    IMG_2782.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2783.jpeg
    IMG_2783.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2784.jpeg
    IMG_2784.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 42
I had a "go to" spot for Puff Balls but the past few years haven't seen any ? My Shaggy Manes had a dismal year this year also, same for Spring Morels. I don't use any chemicals and only mow the areas as needed so I will blame Mother Nature.

so what does a puff ball taste like? Just another mushroom? Curious, never had the pleasure.

Actual flavour is hard to describe. Lighter tasting than most mushrooms, smooth velvety texture that some people don’t like. They usually grow in the same spot each year. Here’s what they look like when your too late, this was one of 5 I missed, it’s about the size of a basketbal!IMG_2781.jpeg

It's always good to miss some. so there will be more for later. Same goes for any wild foraging, never take more then what you need or approx. 25 percent is a good rule of thumb. Some Puff Balls have a nice earthy/woody flavour and some are as plain as tofu with about the same texture. Don't eat ones that are yellowish or brown inside, they should be pure white with a thin smooth leathery skin that should be removed before cooking and they usually grow in dirt so don't touch similar smaller ones that grow on trees or rotten wood or have a thicker brown bumpy skin as they could be Earth Balls which are toxic.

it has always scared me to pick wild without a guide and without any appropriate land to forage on we stick to the stores but I imagine the the wild have a better taste. Attaboy on shopping in the wild !!

it has always scared me to pick wild without a guide and without any appropriate land to forage on we stick to the stores but I imagine the the wild have a better taste. Attaboy on shopping in the wild !!
I was lucky enough to have a mentor(s) to teach and show me as books are good but hands on is better. We actually found a lot of stuff on public land in the past but there was a lot less "wild shoppers" back then. A walk in the park/woods is never a waste of time but as a precaution wear something bright (Blaze Orange ?) in case there are hunters out there.

Wonder who that first person was that said that big round mushroom looks good let’s eat it!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks