Proposed Reg Changes for Retention of in-season Fish

G.Mech

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
The MNRF is proposing some changes that would allow anglers to legally retain in-season fish long enough to measure, revive, or photograph them. This is of significant interest to musky anglers who have routinely taken fish out of the water for revival or measurement as well as many others. Take a few minutes to check it out and complete the survey, it seems to make a lot of sense.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing...QZexyWDQ-MaRpWrdUriXcUirl32Bn8d_O7WvBNxHGWeZA

Reactions: GPS
I think this is for improperly caught fish. Like for example over limit, out of slot size, etc. I’m pretty sure that’s okay as it is for in season fish.

I think this is for improperly caught fish. Like for example over limit, out of slot size, etc. I’m pretty sure that’s okay as it is for in season fish.
That's exactly it, how do you tell if a fish is out of the slot size unless you can measure it legally? Many of the muskies caught are under the minimum size, which means technically you have to immediately release them even if they're dying rather than allowing them to rest in a recovery tank or livewell prior to release.

I have no issue with people taking photos and a weight and ensuring they getting a healthy release. This seems like it’s getting more inline with the enjoyment of fishing. I’m glad they are looking at this.

This should never have become an issue.
I believe the original intent of the regulation to “ immediately release “ was written that way so people caught with prohibited fish couldn’t just say they were intending to release it after being caught by the CO.

It should be common sense that anglers May need to delay the release of a fish due to safe handling, badly hooked, or to snap a photo or even grab a weight, with the full intent to release the fish in as healthy a manner for the fish as possible.

If the angler delays the release for a photo or weight and the fish dies, that’s poor stewardship and should be a chargeable offence.

If a CO walks up behind you while your reviving an out of season fish it should never have been considered a chargeable offence.

There’s a meat eater episode and they are fishing the ocean and are required to have a device on board that takes fish caught out of season back down to the depth they were caught at to be released so thier swim bladder will go back in place. Those fish are in the process of being revived and not immediately released.

Just common sense.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks