Proper maintenance...or lack of.

cmac

This is a result of poor maintenance by the unit's owner who claims he has never had a moments problem til now, more realistic, hasn't put a cent into maintenance til now. He ran garbage fuel (regular) and was told by the fuel fairies that you don't have to treat the fuel because ethanol doesn't hurt anything... it makes your fuel last longer and burn cleaner...seriously?! By the time I have all the issues repaired and have this unit back to pristine operating condition, he will be paying for my fly-in to the Queen Charlotte's for Kings. thank you fuel fairies for your words of wisdom. The OEM pump alone from Merc Marine was $642.97 delivered and this is just the beginning...and all avoidable. The point of this folks is, look after your investments with a proper and diligent maintenance program. There are a lot of great marine mech. around this region, just ask any of the couple of thousand members of this forum for referrals, Marina Shores, N.E.M. just to name a few. For the past 9 years, I have run premium fuel and a premium conditioner/stabilizer (K-100) in my personal boat as well as all my client's units ( gas and diesel ) and have not experienced a fuel related issue since...something you can do yourself in order to save big in the long run.

incedentally, 6 years ago C.M.A.C. did a 2 year study with an independent chemical engineering firm in B.C. to challenge K-100's 2 year stabilization claims...we were not disappointed!
I am aware this is not a fishing report however, if you fish, you likely have a boat and need to read this.

as always, be safe out there.
cheers!

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but would a lack of proper end of season maintenance have contributed to this and would it make a difference if it's a 4-stroke vs an oil injected 2-stroke?

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but would a lack of proper end of season maintenance have contributed to this and would it make a difference if it's a 4-stroke vs an oil injected 2-stroke?
This is 4.3L v-6 4 stroke as all are aware of. 2 stroke will experience similar damage to fuel pump, check valves, fuel bowls, jets etc. perhaps not as severe though costly never the less. Lack of maintenance for sure quackers. He can't remember when the plugs were changes last...if ever.

Newer to owning a boat so forgive my ignorance. Bought older boat and outboard, two stroke. I was aware of the damage that ethanol can do to engines. I always by premium fuel (V power) to mix with my oil. Do I also need the addatives? Advice appreciated.

Newer to owning a boat so forgive my ignorance. Bought older boat and outboard, two stroke. I was aware of the damage that ethanol can do to engines. I always by premium fuel (V power) to mix with my oil. Do I also need the addatives? Advice appreciated.
Just before the ethanol was introduced to the industry, I and all techs,truck, auto, marine even small engine manufacturers received memo's warning of the damage ethanol WILL do to your engines (and void new engine warrantee)and what preventative measures one needs to take. Moisture remover was #1. I have had interesting discussions with both fuel reps and chemical engineers. When posed the question as to which fuels have and do not have ethanol, the answers varies like the weather. So, having said that, I use K-100 religiously. I could care less as to the brand or grade of fuel, gas or diesel, the additive goes in (there is one for gas and one for diesel). A large bottle will treat 303 litres (gas)(980 diesel) for around $19.00. Let me ask the membership this, is your boat/ quad/ sled engine worth $20 to you?
Regardless of which additive you choose, read the label and make sure it is ethanol rated! The cheaper brands are not and are good for 2 to 3 months then they begin to degrade quickly.I don't receive royalties from the K-100 manufacturers, I just believe in it through controlled testing and it works. What it does is, bumps octane rates by 2 full points, stabilizes fuel for up to 2 years (proven), breaks up water content into microscopic molecules, suspends it and burns it ( their claim to fame "make water burn") and if the fuel is a little old, will revitalize it enough to burn. Again, purchase what you want just be sure it is ethanol rated.

Hope this helps...

cheers.

Just before the ethanol was introduced to the industry, I and all techs,truck, auto, marine even small engine manufacturers received memo's warning of the damage ethanol WILL do to your engines (and void new engine warrantee)and what preventative measures one needs to take. Moisture remover was #1. I have had interesting discussions with both fuel reps and chemical engineers. When posed the question as to which fuels have and do not have ethanol, the answers varies like the weather. So, having said that, I use K-100 religiously. I could care less as to the brand or grade of fuel, gas or diesel, the additive goes in (there is one for gas and one for diesel). A large bottle will treat 303 litres (gas)(980 diesel) for around $19.00. Let me ask the membership this, is your boat/ quad/ sled engine worth $20 to you?
Regardless of which additive you choose, read the label and make sure it is ethanol rated! The cheaper brands are not and are good for 2 to 3 months then they begin to degrade quickly.I don't receive royalties from the K-100 manufacturers, I just believe in it through controlled testing and it works. What it does is, bumps octane rates by 2 full points, stabilizes fuel for up to 2 years (proven), breaks up water content into microscopic molecules, suspends it and burns it ( their claim to fame "make water burn") and if the fuel is a little old, will revitalize it enough to burn. Again, purchase what you want just be sure it is ethanol rated.

Hope this helps...

cheers.
@cmac i truly believe in what you are saying and it's a proven fact what ethanol does to all combustion engines. People don't want to buy fuel at a marina due to the higher price than buying it inland.
At my marina (Posts Marina) I see more engine repairs done due to ethanol as you stated earlier with similar pictures. He does sell ethanol free fuel but with marine engines that are always in a moist environment there is still moisture contamination while the boat is sitting at the dock.
I'll put a bottle of SeaFoam in it on a regular bases and there's another brand I'll use that I can't remember it's name

I have used the K100 S+ 2 Year Gas & Fuel Stabilizer for a number of years now and firmly believe it's the best product available. All marine engine manufactures say their engines are designed to run on E10 fuel (10% ethanol) with no damage. But what about older engines? Why take a chance with a very expensive outboard engine in a moisture laden marine environment?

0388028_1

K100 S+ 2 Year Gas & Fuel Stabilizer is a 2 year fuel stabilizer that provides a +2 point octane boost
  • Prevents Phase Separation in Ethanol Blended Gasoline
  • Eliminates water and all water related problems, actually burns water
  • Stabilizes fuel for up to two years, and keeps it fresh
  • Increases Octane/Cetane ratings 1 1⁄2 to 2 points
  • Replaces lost lubricity in LSD, ULSD and K-1 winter blends
  • Cleans engines and fuel systems for better mileage, easier starts, smoother idle, more power and better acceleration
  • Reduces black smoke, unburned hydrocarbons, CO and particulate emissions
  • Reduces maintenance costs and down time and extends engine life

I have used the K100 S+ 2 Year Gas & Fuel Stabilizer for a number of years now and firmly believe it's the best product available. All marine engine manufactures say their engines are designed to run on E10 fuel (10% ethanol) with no damage. But what about older engines? Why take a chance with a very expensive outboard engine in a moisture laden marine environment?

0388028_1

K100 S+ 2 Year Gas & Fuel Stabilizer is a 2 year fuel stabilizer that provides a +2 point octane boost
  • Prevents Phase Separation in Ethanol Blended Gasoline
  • Eliminates water and all water related problems, actually burns water
  • Stabilizes fuel for up to two years, and keeps it fresh
  • Increases Octane/Cetane ratings 1 1⁄2 to 2 points
  • Replaces lost lubricity in LSD, ULSD and K-1 winter blends
  • Cleans engines and fuel systems for better mileage, easier starts, smoother idle, more power and better acceleration
  • Reduces black smoke, unburned hydrocarbons, CO and particulate emissions
  • Reduces maintenance costs and down time and extends engine life
and cures Erectile Dysfunction...:LOL:

@Teddy69... I used to use Sea Foam and is also a good product. However I think K100 is better especially how it takes care of moisture. Not just my experience but check the boating forums, nothing but praise for K100.

It's an amazing product however it does not cure ED as Stomp suggests. :rolleyes:

Seafoam vs K-100...don't get confused folks as they are two completely different products. K-100 is designed strictly for fuel only. Seafoam is designed to be added to fuel and/or oil and cleans, lubricates and a whole bunch of other neat stuff. It is not a stabilizer but more so an engine/fuel system cleaner/ conditioner. K-100 is strictly a stabilizer and water eliminator as per information surrendered to me through Kinetic Fuel Tech. Inc., manufacturers of K-100. Both products are the best in their field though both have completely different applications. Next time you are at CTC read up on both products and their intended applications.

Seafoam vs K-100...don't get confused folks as they are two completely different products. K-100 is designed strictly for fuel only. Seafoam is designed to be added to fuel and/or oil and cleans, lubricates and a whole bunch of other neat stuff. It is not a stabilizer but more so an engine/fuel system cleaner/ conditioner. K-100 is strictly a stabilizer and water eliminator as per information surrendered to me through Kinetic Fuel Tech. Inc., manufacturers of K-100. Both products are the best in their field though both have completely different applications. Next time you are at CTC read up on both products and their intended applications.
So then can I add both to my fuel at the same time?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks