Princecraft Pro series.. live well pump

Great conversation folks. I just bought a 30 year "young" lol... 1992 Starcraft 170 Walleye. The guy I bought it from had not used in in 3-4 years. Batteries were dead but seem to have charged up. The back battery was charging and I noticed my live well pump was running. Weird! I did much of the things that were suggested in this conversation above. Still keeps running. Spoke with Doug in sales a Proctor Marine. Doug's a great guy and Proctor has been even better over the years. He did suggest removing the back deck as I have that cramped little access hatch and my arms are not 6 feet long! Doug suggested removing all the black wires of the neg terminal and that should stop the live well pump from running and I can fix and investigate at a later date. Then he said to start putting all the black wires on the NEG post again (one by one) and when I put the live well black of the post and it starts running again I can just leave it off for now. Here is were things get really crazy .... I started by putting my black NEG wire on the NEG post for my 115 Mariner and guess what...the live well pump started running again? I'm open to any suggestions as well and appreciate any advice given. Thanks in advance! I have checked by the way and the live well rocker switch is off up at the front by the steering wheel.

Apparently live-well pumps do not belong in the books of mechanics nor electronics… mystical pieces of poop

I would almost say your poles spun? Reverse polarity’s

Last edited:
If you can see the pump, follow the wires as far as you can from it looking for inversion or improper splice.

If the position of the switch has no effect you could have a personal jury rig issue.

Hopefully you don't have a mouse chew allowing current bleed. 🌻

I’ve seen that before. I found with my older boat (2000 Lund) I would pull the pump motor off of the stand and spin it by hand. I would do both the aerator and bilge. They had long wires so you could unlock them off the mount and pull them up through the port (note your boat would be sinking at this point if you’re on the water haha. L) They would almost seize into position. A little nudge helped them out. Probably a combination of sitting and age lol.

If you can see the pump, follow the wires as far as you can from it looking for inversion or improper splice.

If the position of the switch has no effect you could have a personal jury rig issue.

Hopefully you don't have a mouse chew allowing current bleed. 🌻
Thanks @hvyhaul for the advice. I think I'm really stuck with having to remove the back deck so I can get access. I've ordered a new 500GPH Johnson Live well pump. The Rule pump that's down there now is likely as old as the boat (1992) and I figured time for a change. I will follow the wires (my wise father-in-laws advise as well. Thanks for the comments!

I’ve seen that before. I found with my older boat (2000 Lund) I would pull the pump motor off of the stand and spin it by hand. I would do both the aerator and bilge. They had long wires so you could unlock them off the mount and pull them up through the port (note your boat would be sinking at this point if you’re on the water haha. L) They would almost seize into position. A little nudge helped them out. Probably a combination of sitting and age lol.
Thanks @Lastchance . I agree with your sitting and age comment. The problem I am having is that the live well pump is not seized the problem is that it won't turn off...it does after it drains the battery however. lol Then to add to the mystery, when I put the black NEG lead from my Mariner 115 HP on the NEG battery terminal the live well pump runs! Nuts! I was thinking that I could just isolate the black NEG wire for the live well pump and leave it off the battery and problem solved temporarily at least. Not the case unfortunately as I mentioned above...when I attach the black NEG for the motor to the NEG terminal on the batter the live well pump starts. I'll take the deck off so I can get proper access. Being 6 feet, 235 lbs, and 57 years "young" is really not much fun to working through a small access hatch! lol Once I figure things out I will do a post in the hopes that it my help others! Thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciate it!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks