Possible assault rifle ban

I don’t see the relationship between New Zealand’s bann of assault rifles and immigrants/carbon taxes. Nobody in this country is asking us to give up our shotguns!! i hope that this country does not copy the rhetoric of the Americans. We are better than they are, and particularly the meathead they have in office at this time.

Trudeau wants to do more than just ban assault weapons
First, he says assault style weapons. What is an "assault style weapon"? I have a perfectly legal Mossberg .22 in an AR15 style stock..lots of that stuff around...are they banned because they "look" like a military rifle? AR 15 style center fire rifles are completely legal to own as long as they aren't high capacity or auto. Remember, assault automatic high capacity rifles are already restricted or banned, so we don't need new or more laws. I'm sick of the argument that you don't need these style of firearm to hunt or target shoot with. Says who???? Thats nobodies business as long as they are legal firearms!
The truly worrisome plan is to turn over the power for municipalities to regulate weapon ownership, being able to ban certain categories altogether. It focuses on handguns right now, but if a municipality has the power to regulate on type of firearm they can regulate them all. Firearms are FEDERALLY regulated, and remember, they are PRIVATE PROPERTY. Municipalities have no right to regulate private property that was bought legally under the proper license. I don't remember the Gov't having any problem with collecting the taxes on my firearms, so this turnaround is just more liberal BS intended to placate the ignorant urban masses and buy votes by promising them useless laws which they think will solve their urban crime.
Wake up!!!!

The slow dying of your rights, the slow dying of your freedom, control of all aspects of your existence, been going on for years
No I dont own a firearm, I'm a immigrant,
From a communist era country
Most people in Canada don't see what's going on and around the world in so called western countries
I have lots of friends with fire arms and never seen / heard any of them planning to commit a crime ,and yes some of them are immigrants
Legal immigration is not the problem , but when you let people in and dont know who they are well your asking for trouble
Bottom line majority of crime committed by
Illegally owned guns and criminals will not seek a gun license, registration
I hope all you gun owners are get to keep your rights, but unfortunately we all know libtards cater toward the loudest crying make no sense groups
As for more tax like the carbon tax when the government just gives away money like it grows on trees they have to replanish the cash flow ,and they wonder why the people get angry
Carbon tax do nothing for global warming now climate emergency next week global / climate something they will call it
Call it what it is : SCAM

I am not sure a carbon tax is the answer to environmental concerns. I make my living with the worlds largest oil company, but all of us realize it is a dying industry. Is electrical energy the answer, maybe or maybe not but a planned approach over the next 20 years with the energy companies on board with the legislators seems like a workable situation.

With all the talks and jargon going on with firearms, I have not heard any leader except the NDP talk about additional gun restrictions. My opinion is to do a more thorough job on the groups/people coming over the boards with illegal arms. The old couple who got busted a year or so for smuggling illegal arms should have been sealed harshly instead of a slap on the wrist.

That is the end from me, I would rather talk fishing!

we are not New Zealand but the "assault style weapons" ban is the same situation and it will lead to more than just the so called assault style weapons just like New Zealand. Trudeau has already stated he will ban sks rifles as well, they sure don't look like a "assault style weapon" you're fooling yourself if you think this will only end with hand guns and the so called assault style weapons, they haven't even said what they're classifying as a assault style so there description could mean anything.

I read the original post, and the article attached. The first thing that came to mind was this thought, "why is this in the fishing forums?" Followed by, "how does what they're planning to do in New Zealand pertaining to gun control have anything to do with us here in Canada?" The answer is, it doesn't. Then I started reading all the responses. Some of the responses made me laugh.

I haven't owned a firearm of any kind since the mid 90's before the gun registry was implemented. I no longer hunted, so I no longer required them. I used to own several rifles and shotguns and although it's highly unlikely, I may change my mind and go through the process to legally purchase another some day.

I am neither pro gun nor am I anti-gun. I don't care either way, but what I have noticed is that nobody has mentioned that while yes it was the Chretien Liberal government in the 90's who implemented the gun registry, and everyone bitched and complained about it then just as much as they do now, BUT, after 5+ years as a minority government, in 2012 once he had a majority, it was the Harper Conservative government who gave us the current gun control laws we have today, when bill C-19 was passed, eliminating the long gun registry, and replacing the old FAC system, with a more robust, more stringent form of background checks for one to be able to obtain a PAL, RPAL, or POL which is required to purchase any firearm, restricted firearm, or ammunition in this country. Everyone bitched and complained about it then, just as they did when Chretien implemented the registry in the 90's, and like then, nobody is bitching about that now are they. Everyone adapted and moved on.

It's been brought up again due to the increase in gun violence in Toronto and the GTA, and as always happens when gun control or changes to it are brought up, everyone is bitching and complaining. BUT, this time, they're just bitching about the Liberals, and why is that? Because aside from personal preference and political leanings, it is an incumbent Liberal government seeking re-election on Monday. IF it were a Conservative or NDP government seeking re-election and making such proposals, you'd either be bitching about them, or be in full agreement with what they were proposing even if it was identical to what the Liberals have proposed to do IF they get re-elected. So what's the difference. Doesn't matter which party proposes any changes to gun control laws, you're going to bitch and complain about it if you disagree.

Neither my wife nor myself have yet decided who we are going to vote for on Monday, and while we may be leaning one way or another, we probably won't know for sure who we'll vote for until we get to the polling station and actually vote. BUT, we do know who we won't be voting for and that is nobody's business but our own. (I have no idea who she is planning to vote for, but as I said, I do know who she isn't going to vote for) and I can tell you with 100% certainty, what they intend to do in NEW ZEALAND will have 0% bearing on who either of us will eventually vote for on Monday. We don't care what they're doing in NEW ZEALAND. We don't live there, and we have no intention or plans to visit.

We also don't care about proposed changes to our current gun control laws that are not guaranteed to be implemented no matter who forms government. While gun violence is increasing in this country and it is of concern, (remember there have been several shootings within a 5 minute walk or drive from my home this year alone) I believe that there are far more important things than THAT to be concerned about, but I also don't live in Toronto or the GTA where it is for sure a bigger issue.

Healthcare. Education. Infrastructure. Trade Agreements. The Economy. Strengthening our military capabilities and equipment so that our men and women in uniform have the tools at their disposal that they require AND Climate Change and the environment, which as fishermen or hunters, we should all understand that even if you don't believe in climate change, protecting the environment is something we should all want to do if for no other reason, to protect the great fishing and hunting we've been able to enjoy so that it is sustainable. I remember when I was a kid in the late 70's early 80's when some were saying Lake Erie was so polluted that it was 70% dead. IF that was true, we've come a long way since then given how alive and vibrant the lake seemingly is today.

When it comes to gun control laws, I'm glad I live in Canada where we do have gun control laws, even if we disagree on them. I'd rather that to the alternative that is the example of the United States. This is Canada, and we are and always have been better than THAT. Since 1968, more people have been killed in the US, by US citizens due to gun violence on their streets, than their military has suffered at the hands of the enemy in all wars combined in which they have been a part from their Revolutionary War of Independence and their Civil War, through both World Wars, Korea, Vietnam, to the modern day war against terrorists in the middle east.

But in my opinion THIS>> gun laws, and politics (and probably religion as well)....... is NOT what should be being discussed in a FISHING FORUM because it can only lead to arguments. If we're going to argue, lets argue about which lure works the best, what the best line is, who caught the biggest fish, what recipe is the best, where the best "secret spots" are, not this politically charged crap in a fishing forum, that has nothing to do with fishing.

I respect all opinions but this issue like almost everything these days is based on political emotional hype rather than fact. Violent crime has gone down by 25% in the last 20 years and Knives are used more often than guns in homicides. Since 1974, the use of knives in homicides has been trending upwards, while the use of guns has been trending downwards. Between 2007 and 2016 more homicides were committed by stabbings than by firearms in 7 out of 10 of those years. This don't even count how many are killed using weapons causing death by blunt force trauma so why is this even an issue. It's all politics nothing else! They can't even enforce the countless gun laws they already have on the books but want more useless legislation only for the purpose of appeasing the ignorant rhetoric of the noisy anti gun crowd. Here's a very good article giving the real facts about gun crime written by Canadian Senator Don Plett.

Last edited:
I read the original post, and the article attached. The first thing that came to mind was this thought, "why is this in the fishing forums?" Followed by, "how does what they're planning to do in New Zealand pertaining to gun control have anything to do with us here in Canada?" The answer is, it doesn't. Then I started reading all the responses. Some of the responses made me laugh.

I haven't owned a firearm of any kind since the mid 90's before the gun registry was implemented. I no longer hunted, so I no longer required them. I used to own several rifles and shotguns and although it's highly unlikely, I may change my mind and go through the process to legally purchase another some day.

I am neither pro gun nor am I anti-gun. I don't care either way, but what I have noticed is that nobody has mentioned that while yes it was the Chretien Liberal government in the 90's who implemented the gun registry, and everyone bitched and complained about it then just as much as they do now, BUT, after 5+ years as a minority government, in 2012 once he had a majority, it was the Harper Conservative government who gave us the current gun control laws we have today, when bill C-19 was passed, eliminating the long gun registry, and replacing the old FAC system, with a more robust, more stringent form of background checks for one to be able to obtain a PAL, RPAL, or POL which is required to purchase any firearm, restricted firearm, or ammunition in this country. Everyone bitched and complained about it then, just as they did when Chretien implemented the registry in the 90's, and like then, nobody is bitching about that now are they. Everyone adapted and moved on.

It's been brought up again due to the increase in gun violence in Toronto and the GTA, and as always happens when gun control or changes to it are brought up, everyone is bitching and complaining. BUT, this time, they're just bitching about the Liberals, and why is that? Because aside from personal preference and political leanings, it is an incumbent Liberal government seeking re-election on Monday. IF it were a Conservative or NDP government seeking re-election and making such proposals, you'd either be bitching about them, or be in full agreement with what they were proposing even if it was identical to what the Liberals have proposed to do IF they get re-elected. So what's the difference. Doesn't matter which party proposes any changes to gun control laws, you're going to bitch and complain about it if you disagree.

Neither my wife nor myself have yet decided who we are going to vote for on Monday, and while we may be leaning one way or another, we probably won't know for sure who we'll vote for until we get to the polling station and actually vote. BUT, we do know who we won't be voting for and that is nobody's business but our own. (I have no idea who she is planning to vote for, but as I said, I do know who she isn't going to vote for) and I can tell you with 100% certainty, what they intend to do in NEW ZEALAND will have 0% bearing on who either of us will eventually vote for on Monday. We don't care what they're doing in NEW ZEALAND. We don't live there, and we have no intention or plans to visit.

We also don't care about proposed changes to our current gun control laws that are not guaranteed to be implemented no matter who forms government. While gun violence is increasing in this country and it is of concern, (remember there have been several shootings within a 5 minute walk or drive from my home this year alone) I believe that there are far more important things than THAT to be concerned about, but I also don't live in Toronto or the GTA where it is for sure a bigger issue.

Healthcare. Education. Infrastructure. Trade Agreements. The Economy. Strengthening our military capabilities and equipment so that our men and women in uniform have the tools at their disposal that they require AND Climate Change and the environment, which as fishermen or hunters, we should all understand that even if you don't believe in climate change, protecting the environment is something we should all want to do if for no other reason, to protect the great fishing and hunting we've been able to enjoy so that it is sustainable. I remember when I was a kid in the late 70's early 80's when some were saying Lake Erie was so polluted that it was 70% dead. IF that was true, we've come a long way since then given how alive and vibrant the lake seemingly is today.

When it comes to gun control laws, I'm glad I live in Canada where we do have gun control laws, even if we disagree on them. I'd rather that to the alternative that is the example of the United States. This is Canada, and we are and always have been better than THAT. Since 1968, more people have been killed in the US, by US citizens due to gun violence on their streets, than their military has suffered at the hands of the enemy in all wars combined in which they have been a part from their Revolutionary War of Independence and their Civil War, through both World Wars, Korea, Vietnam, to the modern day war against terrorists in the middle east.

But in my opinion THIS>> gun laws, and politics (and probably religion as well)....... is NOT what should be being discussed in a FISHING FORUM because it can only lead to arguments. If we're going to argue, lets argue about which lure works the best, what the best line is, who caught the biggest fish, what recipe is the best, where the best "secret spots" are, not this politically charged crap in a fishing forum, that has nothing to do with fishing.
Cut the guy a break, he posted it in the wrong section I get it. No need for a 16pg reply, if you're not concerned with gun ownership laws, rules or what have you than move on

Ju
I don’t see the relationship between New Zealand’s bann of assault rifles and immigrants/carbon taxes. Nobody in this country is asking us to give up our shotguns!! i hope that this country does not copy the rhetoric of the Americans. We are better than they are, and particularly the meathead they have in office at this time.

Just curious what makes us “better than they are ?

I respect all opinions but this issue like almost everything these days is based on political emotional hype rather than fact. Violent crime has gone down by 25% in the last 20 years and Knives are used more often than guns in homicides. Since 1974, the use of knives in homicides has been trending upwards, while the use of guns has been trending downwards. Between 2007 and 2016 more homicides were committed by stabbings than by firearms in 7 out of 10 of those years. This don't even count how many are killed using weapons causing death by blunt force trauma so why is this even an issue. It's all politics nothing else! They can't even enforce the countless gun laws they already have on the books but want more useless legislation only for the purpose of appeasing the ignorant rhetoric of the noisy anti gun crowd. Here's a very good article giving the real facts about gun crime written by Canadian Senator Don Plett.

But facts mean squat to some of these political idiots...Trudeau being number 1....only.bad coming to gun owners

All this scaremongering about the government taking your hunting rifles is just as ridiculous as this.View attachment 18772

They already have taken hunting rifles. The first AR15 I had in the early 90's was just another rifle, I used it for groundhogs. History has shown that this is how it starts. First take the unpopular "military" firearms and then progress from there. The other constant throughout history is the general population saying "they won't take our guns". I'll bet the citizens of Venezuela wished they hadn't turned in their guns. TC

All this scaremongering about the government taking your hunting rifles is just as ridiculous as this.

If the Libs win they estimate they will confiscate 250,000 currently legal semi auto firearms within a 2 year period. There are 75,000 AR15's (the "scary" ones) registered in Canada leaving 175,000 other semi auto rifles on the hit list.

These restricted firearms the Libs plan on banning were hunting rifles in Canada at one time. Think about that.

If the Libs win they estimate they will confiscate 250,000 currently legal semi auto firearms within a 2 year period. There are 75,000 AR15's (the "scary" ones) registered in Canada leaving 175,000 other semi auto rifles on the hit list.

These restricted firearms the Libs plan on banning were hunting rifles in Canada at one time. Think about that.
Doctors used to prescribe cigarettes because they were good for you. Think about that.Times change.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks