Port Maitland

Avionut

I am thinking of launching/fishing from Port Maitland next week. This will be the first Lake Erie outing for this year. I would appreciate any advice I could get re fishing the area.

I went fishing on Wednesday (June 21).
Got at the launch at 7:00 AM and there was no lineup. Good start!

There were 4 to 6 boats anchored at the mouth of the river. I slowly drove past them.

Drove South looking for fish in 35 to 80 FOW without marking much at all.

Ran to the Reef and started in 35 FOW. Found a couple of hooks, but they disappeared at 40.

So I drove to 65 by the red buoy and decided to troll South. I started marking fish and bait balls at 68FOW. My time was runnng out (30 min) but I managed to catch a 24in Wally 40 ft down in 68 FOW on gold RRF on the downrigger and a silver bass on a similar setup.

Overall a very nice day on the water.

Cheers to all.

I just went and test fired the 7.5 last night in the river for the bass opener sayurday and tonight im going back with my 9.9 getting her going and going to fish up and down the river untill 9:30ish pm
See no one has adressed the light houss that blew over yet

good luck out there

Attachments

• 20230621_204106.jpg
    20230621_204106.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 41
I went out there Sunday and caught 2 Walleye and 1 Rainbow just passed the bell on Tecumseh around the first gas well, that was the only place I found bait fish. I started in close near Grants Pt. and over in the shallows off Low Pt. nada. 60 to 65 FOW down 35 was the ticket for me 100' behind the ball. all on worm harnesses. Why I went on the weekend was the only calm day in the week. It was crazy at the launch. Can't wait for those Walleye to move in close to flat-line for them like years before.

Attachments

• IMG_5852.JPG
    IMG_5852.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Turn right out of the Grand for Tecumseh reef, left for the small island.
Both have shallow/rocks in the area, so watch yourself. Or troll in those areas in deeper water for walleye. 🎣🎣
Let us know how you do.

Well, decided to stay off of the lake this morning for bass opening , and stay on the river! Very glad that I did. On the water by 7:30 and got 7 walleye and a catfish... no sheephead. Nothing big, but 3 came home for dinner. Great day out, overcast and warm. 🎣🎣😄👍

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks