Off Topic Port Glasgow cell and internet reception

PlanB

Went a little deeper today, deepest we saw was 69 FOW. Wanted to check the great posts lately on this forum while out there! No internet reception , but all 3 of us got welcome to the US messages from bell, advising us of roaming charges! We weren’t out more than 10 or 11 miles, not half way to the boarder! Anyways wondering if anyone has been dinged out there for this! Will see what happens on my next bill.
P.S. the fishing was crazy good around 65 FOW, riggers, dipseys, and tail dancers all produced, thanks for all the great posts and info from members!

I don't recall having that issue @PlanB, and I'm usually on my phone when out fishing. Maybe I should make sure I have roaming shut off next time out. The coverage alway seems lousy for me at the base of the hill.

Glad you had a great day out there!

Glasgow is crap for Rogers
I have had Bell, Rogers and now Telus over the years and none of them work very well in the Glasgow Harbour. They all work if you get out past the lighthouse or up the hill.

I have Virgin and I loose signal out 4,5,6 miles.
I called Virgin and told them to shut off my rooming getting close to the boarder.
Fishing Crystal beach you don't have to go out far and your on the boarder.

retired Bell, ALWAYS turn off roaming in Erie or St Claire or you have a chance of getting hit. If you have the option for a notification first before roaming that's okay too, there might be times that you don't mind the extra bucks to make an emergency call

Your supposed to be fishing not playing on the phone. LOL! :p
I’ve noticed when trying to check the weather buoy and weather forecasts
Tell that to my fishing partners tho they sometime can’t stop scrolling Facebook

I get that text from Koodo at the long point provincial park… but they never actually uncharged me yet.
I have a Koodo international roaming option that I use when go outside the country for work. in 2020, 2021 they were hitting me with 1 day use when we went to Long Point or to Sarnia. I had to call each time to have roaming charges dropped or reimbursed next billing period. Last year and this year I had no problems at all even though was yards away from the US border on St Clair river. Koodo must have fixed it.

Ive got koodo which is Telus and I get good signal out there 12-13 kms out still
Me too with Virgin Mobile and I believe most others do as well. It's right around port where the problem is because that big hill coming in seems to block reception. Once out on the open lake the issue goes away.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks