Fishing Report Port Glasgow Aug. 18th AM

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
We met at the dock and got to shake the hands of @icefisherman and @plaw64 as well as do some trolling along side them out of Glasgow this morning. It was nice to meet face to face with a couple of well known fisherman off the forum. Emil and Paul it was a pleasure. (y)(y)

I think the big blow the other day scattered the fish so it was a little hard to find any concentration of walleye. In our boat we couldn't get past the bows to get a a single walleye in the boat. Emil and Paul did better than us boating several walleye and some bows as well. The pier fisherman and I boated 7 bows and lost 2 all off 8 colour lead core except 1 off the rigger set at 38 ft., walleye ZERO.:rolleyes: Very nice day to be on the water. :)

We were going to go in when Emil and Paul were leaving but the pier fisherman wanted more time. It was a good thing we didn't because when we did we had to help a guy in trouble against the cliffs west of port struggling to keep his boat off the rocks. His motor konked out and was just about physically spent trying to save his boat. He could not get anyone on the radio for some reason so called Port Glasgow Marina on his cell who called on the radio got me on the VHF asking if I could help. Well of course so she gave me his general location and I went to find him. Boy was he glad to see me, I threw him a rope and towed him the 5 miles back to port. Said he hadn't run his boat in 3 years so thought he would take it for a run when it overheated and quit. Said it ran great in driveway so didn't think there would be any problem. Tried to pay me but no way do I take money for helping someone out, heck I bet I would even help @stomp out if I found him floating in the lake. :D:D

Last edited:
We met at the dock and got to shake the hands of @icefisherman and @plow64 as well as do some trolling along side them out of Glasgow this morning. It was nice to meet face to face with a couple of well known fisherman off the forum. Emil and Paul it was a pleasure. (y)(y)

I think the big blow the other day scattered the fish so it was a little hard to find any concentration of walleye. In our boat we couldn't get past the bows to get a a single walleye in the boat. Emil and Paul did better than us boating several walleye and some bows as well. The pier fisherman and I boated 7 bows and lost 2 all off 8 colour lead core except 1 off the rigger set at 38 ft., walleye ZERO.:rolleyes: Very nice day to be on the water. :)

We were going to go in when Emil and Paul were leaving but the pier fisherman wanted more time. It was a good thing we didn't because when we did we had to help a guy in trouble against the cliffs west of port struggling to keep his boat off the rocks. His motor konked out and was just about physically spent trying to save his boat. He could not get anyone on the radio for some reason so called Port Glasgow Marina on his cell who called on the radio got me on the VHF asking if I could help. Well of course so she gave me his general location and I went to find him. Boy was he glad to see me, I threw him a rope and towed him the 5 miles back to port. Said he hadn't run his boat in 3 years so thought he would take it for a run when it overheated and quit. Said it ran great in driveway so didn't think there would be any problem. Tried to pay me but no way do I take money for helping someone out, heck I bet I would even help @stomp out if I found him floating in the lake. :D:D
Kudos to you for helping the guy out.
I as well wouldn't accept anything for helping someone as I would hope that if need be they would return the favour.

Agree with Heitman and definitely second his Kudos. Even if the fish gods don't reward you everyone who owns a boat should be grateful there are people like you out there. We all hope we will never need help but anyone can run into trouble. I ate a couple of smaller Port Glasgow bows on Tuesday and they were delicious. Nice pink flesh and absolutely first class taste. I would therefore say you had a real good day.

Great job ...lending a hand to another boater in need......... Generally I think it is an unwriten rule to help on the water!!! especially on the great lakes.

But 15+ years ago when I was near Kingston on a 4 lake system, I failed to notice that my water pump or impellor stopped working until my motor over heated ..quit...and melted all the hoses and wire harness.......no radio or cell phone .....put the brite orange life jacket on the landing net and started waving it back and fourth for almost and hour before someone offered to help!!! had several ski boats and jet skiis pass within 100 yards and kept going.

I wood never eccept $$$ either for helping someone out......but when it happened to me I was so greatfull that i dropped a bottle of rye off at there cottage the next day, with a thankyou note.

about a month ago I was on erie with a co-worker in his boat....we both have handheld VHF he had his on dash beside the fishfinder....and he couldnt send or recieve anything.....while mine was in drink holder near back of boat ...working fine......so we moved his radio about 15" away dash and it worked fine.....not sure what (windshield..fishfinder..gps) caused the interference or radio too not work....never experienced that before.....sorry not triing to hyjack post...but might be realated to the guys radio not working

Agree with Heitman and definitely second his Kudos. Even if the fish gods don't reward you everyone who owns a boat should be grateful there are people like you out there. We all hope we will never need help but anyone can run into trouble. I ate a couple of smaller Port Glasgow bows on Tuesday and they were delicious. Nice pink flesh and absolutely first class taste. I would therefore say you had a real good day.
Thanks Arnie... glad you enjoyed the small walleye they're always sweeter than those big brutes Erie is famous for. Was hoping yesterday to also meet "the famous Duck Soup" as Emil affectionately calls you. Got to talk with Emil and Paul at the launch for awhile and some on the radio and both seem like super guys. I really got a kick out of Emil he's so excitable, not hard to figure out how much he loves fishing. Does a morning & evening fish in Burwell the day before then turns up in Glasgow before 6.00 am the next morning. WOW!! man that would kill me! :inpain::p

I know it's been tough fishing at Erie's east end this year. Some encouraging reports of late which may be a sign it will hopefully pick up down your way soon. Good luck and good health. :)

@Puddle Jumper... I believe why he could not get anyone on the radio was because he ground the battery pretty well dead trying to get the I/O restarted.

@Wave Runner, Bob good for you and for your buddy to help the boater in need. I am sure the guy was super lucky you were on the other side willing to help when he was in need.

We loved meeting you in person and shaking your hand to thank you for all the good info and advice you so graciously provided us this week on the Glasgow fishing. Had a great day fishing besides you yesterday and gave it another shot to Burwell this morning. I see Paul has just posted. Finally as my camp time is about to expire we did manage to nail them big time...just as previous years. It has been good work daily but heck pleasure was all ours today to get a few ha ha.
Bob any time you decide to head to lake O. or Lake Simcoe give me a call. Will make sure your helped at least as good as you helped us.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Yes ... Bob was great to meet you guys and thanks again for the advice and company on the water at Glasgow. Was a great morning. Any time you want a change of scenery feel free to give a shout and we can fish Burwell. My boat is sitting at the dock ready to go......

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks