Off Topic Port Franks, a report on the state of boat launches and river mouth

rastam4n

Site Sponsor
R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I have been getting a lot of messages regarding launching in Port Franks.
Facts
1. there are no open/maintained ramps
2. the launches are accessible, but the docks have either not been lowered (meaning your boat will slide underneath and be damaged by the substructure, and you may have to jump down into your boat or, the side floating docks are not yet installed meaning you would have to figure out a way to launch with someone in the boat and a spot to pick up and load people and then reverse that to come back in. It's doable, but tricky and risky.
3. the above couple with very low water levels makes it even more difficult.
4. there are no channel markers in the river or at the mouth (yet), if you do not know where to go you will very likely run aground. If there are waves, they may push you into the rocks or the steel wall (lined with rocks below the surface) when you do hit bottom.
The sand is always shifting at the mouth, and every north wind we get is making the opening smaller and smaller. The edge of the sandbar that is forming is steep, you can go from 5' of water to 1' in less than a boat length.
It will be a month before all of the above gets done, (Lambton Shores couldn't care less about our needs) and it also all hinges on if the Permits are granted by the MOE, ABCA, the local indigenous and likely 1 or 2 more ministries.
I've spoken with the people who run the boats to clear the mouth and place the markers, and they have reported their emails and phone calls are not being returned by LS.
I have lived here and fished these waters all my life, I have intimate knowledge of the area and how it reacts to conditions.
Without that knowledge, I would not attempt to go out here.
Good luck and tight lines

Edit. I just spoke with Ashley who is the head of Parks and Rec, she assured me everything is well in hand and Permits should not be delayed, I asked if we could get the floating docks in a bit earlier this year, she said she would try to get them in a bit early.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks