Port Dover Perch

DST

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Anyone catching any perch around Port Dover?

Thank-you I ran into Port Ryerse slow from Turkey Point side before this post was showing 12 ft of water on the graph but the prop hit a rock or concrete. Graph was marking lots of fish as we limped out.

If you zoom in on google maps satellite view you can actually see how far it extended into the lake.

1372eb679cb8f57de40dfacb2b9efd30.jpg

there are two rock piles that extend out into the lake directly in front of the small concrete bridge(one each side) most of the time you are able to see them quite clearly

I would say is was the old pier. The water was stained pretty good that day you could not see bottom

looks like it was the same shape as the Port Dover Pier in its day

DST:
Sorry to hear of the damage to your prop - that's shitty💩. Hazards to navigation should be marked⛔️. I hope the damage is limited to the prop and not more extensive. That sort of thing will ruin your fishing experience for sure😡. I was not aware of the existence of this phantom pier in the area, but will avoid it entirely.

I really don’t get how in such a busy area this hazard isn’t marked? I’ve been in that area quite a few times and after seeing the pic/info above I’m not sure how I haven’t hit it?

How far below the surface does this usually sit?

I also can't believe that in this day and age, with all the "Twirlling-Earth-Mother" regulations that are in place, they were not required to remove the old pier as a remediation measure.👎

I am surprised that it did not have bout oy at least a few bleach bottles marking it. One of the local Port Dover ladies and the yacht place near us in dover said they took the marker buoy in 3 weeks ago.
We got very lucky and only bend up the stainless prop. The skeg and bottom of the boat survived. A deeper draft boat might have made hull contact.

Sounds like you got away lucky👍. There's also a couple of big rocks a fair distance out from Woolley's Point that are just below the surface when the lake levels are normal. When fishing I approach both areas very slowly. Judging by the minimal damage sounds like you were doing just that. I hit one with a 115 up on full plane on the lower French River a couple of years back. All that was left of the prop was the hub, took the skeg clean off. Very scary, almost bounced my buddy out of the back of the boat.

Sounds like you got away lucky👍. There's also a couple of big rocks a fair distance out from Woolley's Point that are just below the surface when the lake levels are normal. When fishing I approach both areas very slowly. Judging by the minimal damage sounds like you were doing just that. I hit one with a 115 up on full plane on the lower French River a couple of years back. All that was left of the prop was the hub, took the skeg clean off. Very scary, almost bounced my buddy out of the back of the boat.
But.....at certain times its a smallmouth magnet!!!! Be careful out there

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks