Off Topic Port Dover parking

packrat

seems they intend to enforce two hour limit to park in some areas----not good news for those that like to park in the harbour area and spend some time fishing

Now everyone will park on residential streets and walk down. Next year we will be discussing all the mad residence that don't want their roads/driveways blocked.

This is probably a good revenue grab for the county but the businesses may lose if nobody wants to pay $2/liter for gas to go to Dover and then pay $40 a day for parking. Time will tell how this works out. I know in the past my wife and I would drive the lake shore and spend some time in Dover, Turkey Point and Long Point to shop/eat. I am not sure that is going to happen this year.

sure... lets pave everything......... and put up a parking lots.......

as someone who was part of the original Friday the 13th ride.... I guess you want all of us to stay away from Port Dover and take their tourist dollars elsewhere so you can have it all to yourselves. Fine...... I will take the thousands of dollars I have spent over the past 30 years visiting Port Dover and go somewhere else. I assume YOU will be compensating the associated business with your dollars.

It is only for 3 months July Aug & Sept

as someone who was part of the original Friday the 13th ride.... I guess you want all of us to stay away from Port Dover and take their tourist dollars elsewhere so you can have it all to yourselves. Fine...... I will take the thousands of dollars I have spent over the past 30 years visiting Port Dover and go somewhere else. I assume YOU will be compensating the associated business with your dollars.
Friday 13th in 2022 is in May. Paid parking will not be in effect yet.

Now everyone will park on residential streets and walk down. Next year we will be discussing all the mad residence that don't want their roads/driveways blocked.

This is probably a good revenue grab for the county but the businesses may lose if nobody wants to pay $2/liter for gas to go to Dover and then pay $40 a day for parking. Time will tell how this works out. I know in the past my wife and I would drive the lake shore and spend some time in Dover, Turkey Point and Long Point to shop/eat. I am not sure that is going to happen this year.
Makes no sense unless you have just bought an 800,000+ condo on the water. Norfolk county bylaw officers will have to actually enforce.
Too bad. Dover is nice and close for me. Agreed that tourism in Dover already kicked in the butt from restrictions. Crepe house closing. Which ones are next.
Municipal election year .......

Friday 13th in 2022 is in May. Paid parking will not be in effect

Most prime beach areas have limits and paid parking. The short season for businesses needs the customer turn over.
1st hour is free. The beach is free ( and privately owned!).

That is the problem here people abuse the free parking and just use the beach. It is a common problem

People will still abuse free parking. Now they will just move to residential streets. To combat that the county will add "No Parking" signs to those streets and residents will be ticketed if they park in front of their house. The Hagersville quarries are perfect examples, they post no parking so people now park in church and business parking lots. How many people are going to park at the Arbour grab a cup of Glow and walk down to the beach? Sure they have a 2 hour time limit but they will have to pay someone to monitor that and worse yet enforce it.

There are good and bad arguments for this, I just hope that the county did their research before making the decision. It is quick revenue but what are the risk to businesses and residents in the long term?

This seems to be happy more and more in lots of different places. Now Thornbury is doing the same thing charging for parking where you never had to pay before. I see tourism becoming an issue for Ontario if this trend continues. For years you wanted my money and other folks mindset coming to your town but now that is not the case? All the people who moved up to Thornbury etc. are going to replace all those tourism dollars ?

Pay to park has been in place for years around Algonquin Park.

Ragged Falls on the Oxtongue River has had It since at least 2015.

Park pass or pay to park, and the Falls are not even in the park.

After frequenting everything for years when my folks owned a Lake of Bays property, it really pissed me off the first time I saw the machines. :oops::mad:🌻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks