Port Dalhousie

I always write my name and telephone number on my downriggers and cannonballs should one fall over or get snagged in 100 foot waters.. If anyone finds them, they are highly likely to call you.

Pro-tipz
A few guys I know who run their riggers on shorter track systems have taken the extra step of adding safety cables to them as a precautionary measure in case something like that were to happen. When I used to fish muskie alot on Lake St Clair we ran a 6 foot leash on all our down rods in case one were to accidentally release from the rod holders which can and does happen occasionally

A few guys I know who run their riggers on shorter track systems have taken the extra step of adding safety cables to them as a precautionary measure in case something like that were to happen. When I used to fish muskie alot on Lake St Clair we ran a 6 foot leash on all our down rods in case one were to accidentally release from the rod holders which can and does happen occasionally
If you loose a rigger or cannonball. A telephone number won’t work I’m guessing. Unless a diver finds it

And yes, a Muskie hit can not only lose gear, I had one hit so hard,,,, it was like it took a run from Windsor to build up “steam” and broke my elbow.

Well the last year I ran charters I lost one of my 4 cannons about 5 miles west and 5 miles out from Port Glasgow on my way to Erieau for some dinner. to this day I do not know how it came loose but it was a rough ride as we had big waves. While I was in Erieau I did buy a replacement cannon and it was a lot more money than I paid for the lost one, inflation I guess. If I had any brains I would have marked it as a waypoint and got one of my buddies who drives for Ryder to dive down and get it for me. He is also a certified diver and when I told him about it he gave me shite that I did not mark the spot.

Last edited:
I lost a Cannon Mag off the back of a Starcraft SS years ago out of Glasgow. It was rough and the rigger ripped 4 bolts out of the sheet aluminum base at the back..and it had backing washers on them.

I lost a hand assembled, Japanese “Calcutta Conquest” 401D mounted on a St.Croix “sling blade” Muskie rod into the mouth of the Thames river (I didn’t, my feeble handed pal did)

It was snagged the next year by some dude apparently

The lord giveth, the lord takes $1,300 away…

I lost a hand assembled, Japanese “Calcutta Conquest” 401D mounted on a St.Croix “sling blade” Muskie rod into the mouth of the Thames river (I didn’t, my feeble handed pal did)

It was snagged the next year by some dude apparently

The lord giveth, the lord takes $1,300 away…
Ouch, that's a sweet combo!!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks