Port Burwell walleye revenge.

tailfeathers

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Headed out on a very bumpy lake at 3pm today
Set up started around 43 ft put out 2 rods in 6 color leadcore on each side on in line planers. First fish in the boat at 45 ft. Steve 1990 a forum member told the walleye he would end it quickly by slitting his throat. Second walleye on a 6 color leadcore straight out the back reeked revenge on Steve who reached in the net to unhook it by thrashing and driving the front treble of three on a husky jerk deep in Steve's thumb. So now Steve and the net and the walleye are as one the walleye on the center hook net on the back. So first extract the hook from the net done grab the walleye to stop him thrashing Steve now faints.3rd hook now finds a tender piece of leg hook 2 finds middle finger of his other hand and buries deep. Quickly I extract the hook from his leg,Steve comes too thinking he's part of the Erie fun house of pain(poor bastard) in finger cuffs. I had to cut off both hooks in his thumb and finger. Steve sorry bud but if you're gonna try and steal my husky jerk your gonna get hooked. He was a great sport letting Renita and Trevor m fish back towards Port as you couldn't run at speed due to waves. 6 fish boated in about an hour. I'm certain we could have filled the box with 7 poles running although the 2 dipsys did nothing today. Steve finally relented and we went in and I drove him to Tillsonburg hospital where fingers where frozen and hooks removed. As a side note I think walleye like the scent of human blood as we could not keep them of the remaining hooks. I estimate 6 color leadcore with a husky jerk at 42 to 45 feet
20200809_170720.jpg20200809_182312.jpg20200809_190906.jpg

Attachments

• 20200809_161900.mp4
    48.4 MB
Thanks for taking me out Tailfeathers. As usual, had a good time and learned something new.

Glad Steve is ok. It's not often you see someone get beat up by a fish with an attitude ;) Was nice to meet Renita, and even nicer to see her get that 8lb 6oz. hog. The other big one wasn't too shabby either. Guessing it was close to if not 5lbs. Looking forward to the next time we get out.

Funny, I don't think I've ever had the urge to reach down into a net with a freshly caught anything in it.

Thank you explaining why my hunch was correct. :D

I will grab the leader and hold the head up untill the gripper is in place, but that's it

Did that out of Erieau..by myself with a single Siwash hook embedded into the back of my calf with a rainbow attatched. Got the rainbow off but man was that hook buried. I used the line loop on the hook/push down on the hook shank and pull the line hard routine. It popped out perfectly...but that calf was swollen for a couple days.
REMEMBER--if you get stuck, check your Tetanus shot date, or just go and get another.

yup - fishing line and push the shank works great - although I have never had to do it on myself. One year, for some reason I was blessed with 3 separate hook up occurrences - not sure whose karma I peed on that year, but glad it's in the past - the deepest and biggest was a mag salmon spoon - neglected to put the spoon away when I switched up, Went to lean over the side as we docked and in goes a nice big hook from a treble, all the way to the bend. My 12-year-old pulled on the line and out she popped, painless - compared to the alternative. I learned that trick from my doctor, the year a bass drove a Storm middle treble into my thumb when I was 5 miles up a back lake on Temagami on a Friday night. The only boat on the lake. Both me and that bass dancing at the same time - but I am sure I was hurting more. Every jump he did ripped that hook around. Had to release it, cut the hook off the Storm, and then I finally pulled that one through with some sweat, blood, and swears. I needed both hands to get out of the lake or else I wouldn't have done the self brutalization. By the time I finally managed to see my doctor Monday morning (13-hour wait at emerg at 1:00 am on a Sunday ... but that's another story) his eyes went kinda wide and he gave a prescription for horse-sized pills and his personal email. I think I was pretty close to losing the thumb, although he never said so, or getting blood poisoning. Getting the hook out ain't the worst part of it- at the first sign of infection get it checked out and as @DaveJ says- keep that tetanus up to date. The fish in this report are certainly a lot nicer than the little bugger who attacked me.!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks