Port Burwell Pier Safety

JohnPK

A couple weeks back, launched my boat at Bradfords and since the parking lot was full I decided to take the van and trailer down to the pier and have my son pick me up on his way out with the boat, and later drop me off to get the trailer coming in. Had planned on just climbing down a ladder to get into the boat....so walked out towards the end noticing new work had been done regarding the concrete to the pier, but there wasn't a ladder the whole way out on river side...didn't check other side so not sure. Thought to myself, if I had a small kid here and he/she fell in..of course I'd jump in to help them but how would a person get out?? First pier I have ever been on that doesn't have a ladder every 50 feet or so as part of the pier in case someone falls in...
I did manage to get into the boat by jumping but just thought it strange...
Anyone have thoughts on this?

Yes I have thoughts. This doesn't surprise me at all since the township of bayham is to busy imposing safety on our personal property to worry about the stuff the take care of. They are more worried about someone having a campfire in there backyard than being able to get out of the water beside the pier. I remember as a kid people used to jump off the pier all the time and sure that after its dredged it will happen again, but before you could climb out and now you can't. I had to put up a six foot fence around my swimming pool even though theres a five foot fence and gates all the way around my yard but bayham doesn't worry about safety of the boats coming into the harbour after dark by marking it with bouys you could see. Our township is the first one to tell you how to be safe on your private property and will fine you if your not but when it;s something they are responsible for it's use at your own risk. I dream of the day when all the current counselors are replaced by people who actually live here and care about the people and not there own agendas. Just my 2 cents.

I don't believe Municipal governments have anything to do with piers and such....I'm pretty sure they are the responsibility of Transport Canada. Still agree with the concern but I don't think the township will be fixing it.

It's quite possible that i am wrong but the way I understood it was the township was now responsible for the harbour. Not sure if that includes the pier or not but figured it did. I believe they have been responsible for many years now and thats why the harbour hasn't been maintained or dredged. We have had many town meeting over the last couple of years about dredging and wether or not the township was going to do it. It just P#@%es me off when you see many of the other port towns thriving and then look at ours on a downhill slide for the last 15 years and it doesn't seem like the people in charge are doing what they should to help the harbour, the buisnesses or the the town as a whole. There is no reason for port burwell to be in the state it is other than lack of commitment from the local government. Burwell has 2 beaches 2 campgrounds, great fishing and some great restaurants but until someone steps up and helps to bring people back again the buisnesses will just keep closing and the harbour will become impassable. Thank god the sub is on it's way and the they are dredging the harbour but if whoever is responsible for the harbour doesn't maintain it, then it will just fill back in again. I for one hope that doesn't happen.

Couldn't agree with you more Mako. There are so few ports along the North shore that it's a shame to see one like Burwell go to crap. Hopefully with the sub arrival, things will improve regardless of who is responsible for it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks