Port Burwell (launching etiquette)

Blastr

after a long hot day on the water wacking perch then having to come in and wait in line for over an hour in the hot sun to be able to pull the boat out wasn't enough fun for one day, some guy in a 21ft. lund pulls in front of 10 boats at least and proceeds to take his boat out first. That was a douch move and not at all sportsman like. you deserved everything that all the other boats called you A$S hole.

Blastr

I Launched out of Burwell for the first time on saturday (boat owners choice not mine) and it was by far the worst launch ethics i have ever seen.
one guy didnt didnt take transom straps or load his boat until he backed into ramp, another guy went and took a dump after putting his boat in the water.
on the way out the 2 boats in front of us , must have gotten lost walking too there trucks (took 10 min at least, for each of them)

going in 6 th inline took over an hour, coming out 3rd inline took 35min just to get to launch

If it was my choice !!! I wouldn't launch anywhere but NEM @ port Bruce, but unfortunately my boats not big enough (14' tinny) for trolling on erie, so i have to go where i can get an open seat

Ok Guys no matter where you go i see the same thing over and over. Some people have no clue!! If there are people waiting in line for boat launch there is no reason for you to take your sweet time at the ramp..

1. Stop on the side of the road before the ramp out of everyone’s way.(don’t approach the ramp yet)

2. Gather all your gear that you want in the boat and put it in the boat!

3. Take off your covers/straps/motor supports etc.etc.

4. Go to bathroom if needed.

5. Discuss with the person your with what the game plain is to make the transion a smooth one.

6. Approach ramp and launch boat.(back into water and let boat float on its own no need to push it off)...move boat out of way of ramp area.

7. Get out of the way for next guy. DONT STOP ON RAMP ...pull out and find a parking.

Pay attention to your surroundings and be courteous to other that are wanting to get on the water just as bad as you do.

It’s not hard!!!!

But every year the same thing happens guy pulls up to ramp gets out and spends ten minutes to do all the things i just mentioned right on the ramp.WTF

Watch the tourney guys launch 100 boats in 45 mins no arguments all working to help each other out.!!! Thats the way to do it.

Last edited:
There are always 1 or more duffuses in the bunch. I do not enjoy fighting week end warriors who have no clue what to do on a ramp. I don't like waiting in line myself but if it's a weekend you will have to at most all ramps. No matter how fast Greg and the crew at @NorthErieMarina are that narrow channel is a pain to control the boat in waiting in line. I anchored once so I wouldn't bump any of the big boats and Joe Idiot just pulls around me to cut the line then blocks the ramp to put his straps on until Greg's guy told him to move it. I gave him a quick lesson in ramp protocol. I will never go back to Port Burwell as the day I did go there it was a free for all and I don't want to park the trailer 1/2 mile away on Lakeshore Dr. They need a lesson from Greg's crew.

It's funny to talk to the folks at the Port Dover marina. I guess it is the only marina that isn't loosing money (or does the books properly) in the LPB area. It isn't hard to see why they are doing relatively well -- it as secure as a marina can be, price (they charge more), and good staff. It is a well run place. Only complaint... And it's the same with every marina with a ramp... If you are charging $20 to launch then have a staff person there to direct traffic and keep things moving. They could pay a student (or a bouncer) $20 an hour and still do ok at most/all ramps on the weekends.

Humans aren't so smart -- especially not when they are heading out on the water or back in from a day in the sun. That $20 should be for more than a cement ramp.

i think there should be an attendant at every pay boat launch when it is a busy weekend....helping the boaters getting there boats back on there trailer safely and smoothly....i have launched at stans marina in port stanley for years..i go down there early morning missing any line up at all. I get to park in a great spot too... On the weekend coming out is usually busy...but not always ...there is a long dock that you just pull up and wait your turn. there is always a young courteous attendant there to help you get your boat back on your trailer...never a long wait.. I then pull out of the marina and park out and down the road under a shade tree...then i am tieing down my boat and organizing my gear to trailer my boat for the 15 minute drive home...and thats without no stress at all....

I launch from rush creek at Port Bruce
On my way in there is always a big line up for NEM ramp .guys block the channel as they wait.
I always have to manoover between boats
And get the stink eye while I do so because they think I'm cutting in line..
I just wish you people in line could form a nice single file line rather then scatter all over the place..
Be nicer for the folks that are just passing by.

Regards

Derek

Exactly the reason why I never go on the weekend. I can do that because I'm retired and feel for all you guys who can only go on the weekends. I had to do the same for 40 years when I worked and ran into all the same type of knotheads at the dock. When your turn comes you guys are going to love the retirement years, trust me. ;) :D :love:

same discussion every year-----problem is the ones that wind up giving you a headache or a pain in the A$$

prob don't read this or if they do----shrug it offo_O

how about the marinas make a BIG SIGN of launch technique and post it right at the ramp----transgressors will be cheerfully beaten to a pulp:p

Mick, I switched my lights to LED a few years back because I kept forgetting to unplug them and then discovered no lights when loading back up. Maybe I should have retired at 44 cause my memory keeps getting worse with each year. My wife says she is waiting for the day that I call and tell her I forgot the boat

I've read these posts on boat launching etiqit, and I don't understand why...when you see these guys doing it all wrong....you don't go and tell them how it's done....I do it all the all the time...that's only way they will learn how to do it right...
That's my story and I"M stickin to it....

I have a trailer at Big Otter, Sat was the busiest day I have ever seen there, there is a stop sign at the bait shop that also says pay here, set up here. half the guys don't read it. I get up extra early, grab a coffee and watch the ramp follies..........amazing what some people wait to do before the boat backs in the water. My boats in a slip but between Bradfield's launches
and Big Otters it took a while to get back in to the marina Sat at 4 after fishing. As far as butting in front of guys......its always happened as long as I have fished....there are always A$$holes no matter what you are doing.

We have never had a problem at Big Otter in Burwell. I like to be there at daybreak before the 7 am rush and back in before the late afternoon rush . We always go the beach area to prep the boat and use the restrooms. When we get to the ramp we just pay and launch .

There are a lot of guys that are 100% ready before they get on the ramp and most people are really efficient launching their boats buuuut there are always some that mess up the flow. New owner at Big Otter this summer and Darrell has implemented some changes already with more to come.

I was there Saturday morning at 6:00 am, and it was almost packed then. No problem getting in, but getting out was very interesting. My son is holding bass boat, and I go get the truck. As I'm going around the circle driveway with truck, I see this guy try and blow a donut at the ramp with his boat, his bow goes right up the side of my fiberglass, and I yell at him, he puts it in reverse and backs out and takes off down the river. The boat is all marked up, first time in the water. I wanted to go after him, but it was to busy. He would of been hurting if I had of caught up to him.

hey there @mcsteve...we all forget...but we seem to remember the real important stuff that makes it count...hey led lights for boat trailer....great idea...i have 3 trailers and there all updated with good quality trailer lights..

i think if i was just into perch fishin erie on the weekends like the hundreds of other boats...i would consider the convience getting a dock for a month or so...then you have your boat already to go..

with all the boating excitment with the erie perch fishin... i cant imagine what LPB will be this sat for opening of bass season

if there was zero tolerence for alcohol consumption on the boat...it would make things easier pulling out with less problems...do ya think

Last edited:
I was there Saturday afternoon trying to get in. Me and another boat were waiting in the river for a sail boat to back out of the ramp when this PRICK in a beige 18' Legend drives past us and pulls up beside the sail boat at the dock. His buddy gets out of the boat, gets their truck and trailer and backs in the ramp as soon as the sail boat pulls out. By now me and the guys in the boat in front of me are screaming at the a$$holes for jumping in front of us. The marina "staff" stood there watching these guys and never said a thing.

I go to a lot of different ramps on Erie.

Port Burwell = WORSE RAMP EVER

Last time I will ever go out of Burwell.

Back