Port Burwell Dredging?

They are using a vacuum dredge with a 3' diameter pipe, so there's no reason that the harbor should be closed. I was told by MNR that the dredging will take 5-6 weeks and that they will be dredging to a depth of 30'. The "spoil" will be dumped off the east beach.

30' deep? Perch:D

I am fishing this weekend and not sure I will be able to launch off the beach here, Sandbars have moved in very shallow, I may have to put in at Burwell and run the boat down.

With such a nice forecast I want another crack at the perch:D

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

considering i've never seen a dredging operation, will a couple barges and a 3' vacuum hose really have that much of an effect on the trout run?

when you look at the determination of migratory trout and salmon, i don't see how it'll change anything.

edumucate me please :D

According to the fisheries biologists that I talked to, this operation is not expected to have any negative effect on the migratory trout / salmon. That's why DFO has signed off on the dredging. The fish will be where they normally are and the reports that I've seen suggest that the run is well under way. Go get 'em!

guys --- with all due respect --- they may dredge here in the fall however I fail to see where all of the excitement comes from -- there is so much sediment with runofff during a mild winter through the chanel (and we are experiencing very mild winters over past few) - not to mention spring runoff - does it not stand to reason that directly upstream of the end of the dredge the boottom will be highly unstable and ready to shift down into the very area of the dredge - add this to the downstream flow of debris and sediment does it not stand to reason the channel will be right back where it is now in no time ----- sell the damn sub to someone else and put the money into dredging on a regular basis and truly support the Burwell economy - my thoughts are there are alot more people will come to Burwell over the long term for fishing --- far beyond the novellty of the sub is long forgotten. just my two cents

Saw the equipment today looks like a 1 foot pipe with a posibbly 2 foot auger to loosen silt and sucked up and pumped out through the front of auger barge into the pipe and out to wherever, which they dont seem to know where yet as per the operators of the barge... as for 30 feet naaaaaaaaaa 10 t0 12 sounds closer ... One thing I noticed while there is the water level is extremly low, trout gonna have to walk up stream at the mouth of channel, never saw it that low before and there was an onshore wind besides.. No sucking and blowing yet , winds were to high to get pipes into the lake or whereever quote:
Originally posted by canvasbacksca

They are using a vacuum dredge with a 3' diameter pipe, so there's no reason that the harbor should be closed. I was told by MNR that the dredging will take 5-6 weeks and that they will be dredging to a depth of 30'. The "spoil" will be dumped off the east beach.

Larry

The Worst Day At Fishing Beats The Best Day At Work

DSCF0084.jpg

Aparently the anchor the barge from the sides of the river and winch it side ways while augering , sucking and blowing, then winch it forwards and start over . as for the thirty feet deep, I dont believe that accutate from the looks of this equipment,, but not positive

Larry

DSCF0084.jpg

hmmmmmmm better check first dave not a whole lot of water there as of Wed 26 th morning didnt walk to end of pier to see the channel but there is a great big beach now and if they dredge the way i was told by the operators there will be cables across the river to drag the barge back and forth sideways 8Dquote:
Originally posted by Big Dave

30' deep? Perch:D

I am fishing this weekend and not sure I will be able to launch off the beach here, Sandbars have moved in very shallow, I may have to put in at Burwell and run the boat down.

With such a nice forecast I want another crack at the perch:D

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

Larry

DSCF0084.jpg

damn I never knew this site had so many lawyers and engineers and bioligists. now I know where to look.its a public contract look it up it will tell you the facts.

quote:
Originally posted by walleye5

damn I never knew this site had so many lawyers and engineers and bioligists. now I know where to look.its a public contract look it up it will tell you the facts.

Good idea but if the contract is so readily available, I can't find it. Maybe you could post the link for those of us who are so un-informed.

I did find this however which give a general idea of the plan. It is the Canadian Environmental Assessment plan. The actual assessment was cancelled when the new Environment Act was passed but the info still seems valid as near as I can tell:

http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/052/details-eng.cfm?pid=61416

go to the federal government site it takes searching but its in the tenders and contract section. I will try to search it out. it also may be a township contract so the same section goes tenders and contracts.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks